How to run 2 applications at same time on Mac Air and HDMI connected LCD TV?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by petalino, Mar 6, 2014.

1. petalino, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

petalino macrumors regular

I connected an LCD TV to my Mac Air using an HDMI cable, so that I can run a slideshow on a larger screen.

I am running this slideshow on my Mac Air using Safari browser and OSX 10.9.1
    The slideshow itself is part of a photo hosting website, and it shows a small collection of my photos running in a loop.

Question:
    Is it possible for me to have 2 screens (Air Mac screen and LCD TV) showing 2 different things?

I would like to do some work on my Mac Air, while the slideshow is still running on the LCD TV and the viewing public only sees the slideshow and not what I am working on on my Mac Air.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Haven't done it myself but u should be able to accomplish this via Maverck's virtual screens feature.

3. petalino thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

Can you expand your thought?
    Where do I find this feature?

4. bit density macrumors 6502

I think you will find that you can't. You will be fundamentally blocked by the fact that only one app can be open to input at a time as otherwise things like keyboard short cuts won't work like you expect. However, you can get something like virtual screens to work.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5497443 which will get you started in what you can and cannot do. This should allow you to view content on your TV and do work on your laptop screen. Or vice verse.

5. awair macrumors regular

Yes this is possible, using a couple of different techniques.

While you can have different apps on different physical screens, by extending the desktop, only one app will have the focus/input.

For example, you can play a movie or slide-show on a second screen and write an email on the other, but you couldn't simultaneously click advance or pause on the 2nd screen. (That would be switching apps, albeit rapidly.)

I no longer have multiple monitors, but can achieve this using Airplay. One of the options, connecting to an AppleTV, is to Extend the Desktop. I can display a streaming movie, on a virtual second screen (via AirPlay), while continuing to work full-screen on my laptop.

AirParrot (3rd-party app) offers the same functionality for older hardware.

Summary:
    AirPlay (or Air Parrot) for display on Apple TV
    System Preferences/Displays for 2nd physical monitor (just drag the desired window onto this screen).

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes. As mentioned here on this OS X Mavericks page from Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5891
    "Each display connected to your Mac can have its own windows and full-screen apps. You can spread out your work however you like."

The OP mentions slideshow is "running in a loop," thus the slideshow requires no user interaction.