How to run a bare bones Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Johnkenn, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Johnkenn macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 and I do music production. I just upgraded to Lion because I had to for some other applications...and now occasionally, I have some pixelation blocks on the screen and had a crash once where the whole (2) screens pixelated. Is there a guide on how to run this OS in a bare bones fashion? I don't need any of the bells and whistles...Tried to google, but can't find anything about it...

Thanks!

2. chrfr macrumors 603

This sounds more like your video card is failing, not the OS. And no, there's no "bare bones" way to run Lion. Safe Mode exists for troubleshooting but it's not a viable way to work.

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Most people are likely to use only a fraction of the various system files included in OS X. Does this matter? No.
    OS X launches the processes that are needed to do what is currently being done. The print process doesn't get launched until you press Print. The Dashboard doesn't get launched until you select it.
    Even processes that aren't doing much will be using next to ZERO CPU.

In short: there is nothing that you can do to "streamline" the OS. This isn't Windows. The only thing you're likely to do is to break something.

As said, your problem does sound like a hardware issue with the graphics card. It could be software-related, though. Do you have any third-party software running -- particularly related to video? Make sure everything is up-to-date and compatible.