How to run a exe on mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bemt17, Mar 23, 2009.

1. bemt17 macrumors member

I need to run a program called tunebite on my macbook so I can convert my itunes purchased video to a format to play on my PS3.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If it's an .exe, then you need Windows. Darwine may work, but it's pretty spotty on anything but the most generic & broadly-distributed apps.

3. bemt17 thread starter macrumors member

I did a little searching and found something called crossover any thoughts on it?

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Check the CrossOver site to see programs that have been tested on it- I found them pretty limited (again similar to those that work with Darwine) and have not had much luck in getting non-listed programs to work with it. Try before you buy on that one!

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Crossover is the commercialized Darwine implementation. Slicker front end, but still the same engine.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Wouldn't you be better off identifying a Mac app that serves the same function?

7. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Seconded. Maybe you should look into something called Handbrake...but I'm sure others could contribute other programs as well that would do the same thing just as well on a Mac.

Edit: I see what you're trying to do with Tunebite, you'll need bootcamp most likely and have to throw windows on your mac...or use Parallels.

8. bemt17 thread starter macrumors member

yea there in lies the problem there is no mac program that does this.

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Ah. "... iTunes purchased video ..." means it's DRM'ed.

There is a Mac program that will do this for iTunes music and video pre-8.0.2. But I'm sure it's against the forum rules to tell you where to get it. Still, it shouldn't be too hard too find. I found it by Googling. You just have to think of the right Google search query.