Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feuerschlange

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
How do you run a full screen OS X app in a windowed mode?

I have one app, that I want to run parallel to my other open apps and lots of windows.

I am annoyed, every time I focus on this app, that my secondary screen goes blank and the small little app takes my whole primary screen.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
A long shot.... but who knows:

Usually there is a .plist file associated with the app (usually in ~/Library/Preferences/), and sometimes if you open that file (like with Text Edit), you might find a line containing something like "windowed-mode full screen = TRUE".... edit that to FALSE, and see if it had helped.

Good luck.

feuerschlange

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
A long shot.... but who knows:

Usually there is a .plist file associated with the app (usually in ~/Library/Preferences/), and sometimes if you open that file (like with Text Edit), you might find a line containing something like "windowed-mode full screen = TRUE".... edit that to FALSE, and see if it had helped.

Good luck.

Too bad - no luck here.
The app is an old game, called Solarian II.
It runs in full screen, completely darkening my secondary screen too and actually only takes 1/4 of the main screen, as it does not scale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.