How to Run a VirtualBox on 10.9

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Kirkle, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Kirkle macrumors member

I have a 2013 iMac running Mavericks. I would like to make a virtual machine of OS X using VirtualBox, and I can't find any way to do it and I have no idea why.

I have tried every version of OS X that I have (Snow Leopard Sever on Disc, and Mountain Lion and Mavericks as downloads from the App Store). I have turned the install discs into ISO and CDR files, tried them as dmgs, and for some reason everything results in a "no bootable media" error.

I have no idea why this is happening. Using this same setup I have made virtual machines for Windows and Linux distros with no problems, but OS X never seems to work.

Does anyone have any experience of using VirtualBox on a Mac? What is so different about installing OS X?

2. mfram macrumors 65816

The short answer is that VirtualBox emulates a PC. And a Mac isn't a PC. There are limitations in the documentation about VB's ability to install a Mac guest, so be sure to read up on them. Then you will need to make sure you select virtual hardware that is Mac compatible. And you will definitely need to enable EFI support in the guest since that is the Mac boot environment.

3. SnowLeopard2008, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Um no...

You do need to enable EFI in VirtualBox preferences. Mac OS X is different (and light years better) from Windows because it doesn't use BIOS. Here is a link that can walk you through the process of installing Mac OS X as a VM in VirtualBox. I believe with Mavericks, you are allowed to have at least 1 or more instance running in a virtual machine. I'm not sure about other versions of OS X. As always, I'm assuming you have a legitimate, legal and valid license of OS X before you proceed down this road.

Link:
    http://ntk.me/2012/09/07/os-x-on-os-x/

4. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

With Parallels, it's easy-peasy. But then again, that costs at least $50 or so. I'm not saying it's better or something, I'm just saying that if you're in a pinch, that option is available.