Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

softypolimer

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2009
Thanks, man. I'm using pcsx-r right now but it does not support so FF8.
epsxe would be a better option.

Does wine support usb controller?

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Thanks, man. I'm using pcsx-r right now but it does not support so FF8.
epsxe would be a better option.

Does wine support usb controller?

Yes. I have it connected to a playstation 2 controller via USB adaptor. Use wineskin, not native wine.

Last edited:

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
How to get ePSXe running on OSX natively(ish)
---------
There are 3 ways to run this windows-only emulator ePSXe on an apple computer.

1. install windows in bootcamp - this gives you better frame rates if your computer is having trouble and can work around a few osx glitches.
2. virtualize windows in OSX - parallels and VMware fusion should do fine here. Virtualbox still has a problem with USB devices being passed to guests.
3. run ePSXe with a wrapper - Wineskin is the easiest FREE way to do this. it creates a fake windows environment for each windows app, allowing it to run within OSX without a copy of windows.

I will be covering the wineskin method.

First, we need to fetch wineskin winery.
http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php?page=Downloads
Download this app and drag it into your application folder.

When you first launch the application, it will not have anything it needs to create a proper wrapper, but will instead allow you to fetch the latest stuff from within the app. How thoughtful. :)

Click the plus sign and download and install the latest engine.
Next, you will notice the "No Wrapper installed" text. Click Update to install the newest wrapper.

Click "create new blank wrapper" and name it whatever you want. This will be the name of the app, so it makes sense to call it "ePSXe."

If your firewall is active, mac OSX will ask you if you would like to let the new wrapper connect to the internet. ePSXe doesn't need that, so deny it. Also, cancel the Mono and Gecko installers when it asks because ePSXe doesn't use those anyway.

You now have a nice new wrapper! Go ahead and exit out of wineskin winery. we are done with it.

Now, we need to put the emulator inside it. When you have an installer, this is very easy, but ePSXe doesn't use an installer, so we will have to do this manually. Oh, the joy.

First, fetch ePSXe. Use the latest version (1.7.0).
http://www.epsxe.com/download.php/

Unzip the file if OSX didn't already do it for you. You should see a folder called "epsxe170" and a bunch of little things inside. Download and place whatever plugins you want in the plugins folder (eternal 1.41 and 1.50 are GREAT sound plugins, and the peops OGL plugins are really nice too.) Place your playstation 1 BIOS dump in the bios folder. (I will not help you find one, and technically, you need to own a playstation 1 to be legally permitted to even HAVE the file.)

ePSXe has an unspecified need for a file called zlib1.dll. Download it and place it in the epsxe170 folder.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpng/files/zlib/1.2.3/zlib123-dll.zip/download

Now, we need to move the epsxe folder into the wrapper. Try to launch the ePSXe wrapper that was created with wineskin winery earlier. When asked, select "install software."

We have to manually do this because ePSXe has no installer, but wineskin makes this pretty easy too. Click on "move a folder inside." Choose the epsxe170 folder. It will automatically find and assume you want to use the ePSXe.exe file when you launch the program. This is correct. Click OK.

For funsies, lets give it a version number and pretty icon. This is optional, but so simple you might as well do it. Click the advanced button once the initial window comes back up. Change version to "1.7.0" and for the icon, browse to a nice new one, like the one in this link:
http://www.easyicon.cn/language.en/iconsearch/epsxe/
Remember, we want the ICNS file, not the PNG or ICO file. Click browse and select the pretty new icon, then close that window with the red circle in the upper left corner.

Make sure you have your controller plugged into your mac BEFORE you launch ePSXe (so that it will see it) and do not disconnect it until after you exit ePSXe (or you will crash it.) You can use playstation-to-usb adaptors on the mac just fine, but haptic feedback (vibration) will not work. Sadly, MacOSX doesn't know what that is, so it can't pass that instruction along to the controller.

Setup is the same as for a PC at this point.

Sorry for the sloppy write up. let me know if you have any questions. :)

Last edited:

softypolimer

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2009
Nice tutorial you wrote here. The wine itself have a very user friendly UI (I though I was suppose to use coding method, lol) so I got it up running pretty easy. Thankyou!

The only strange thing is I cannot use "Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9" even though I can use this plugin on boothcamp and "ZEROpsx" from porting team before I upgrade to lion. I'm playing it no native res with softgpu now because the older ogl plugin make 2d game ugly if you compare it to the new one. I probably to update something or I need to mess with winetricks, maybe?

I'm using MBP early/mid 2011 with AMD radeon 6490 256mb

Edit:
Older OGL plugin is very glitchy on frame buffer effects.
only Soft and OGL2 did the better job.

Now I'm doing some research to get PEC working in the same virtual desktop mode.

Edite2:
Succeed! I just let it run the batch command file, no need to enable virtual desktop.

Last edited:

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
the old OGL plugin is actually very good with frame buffer effects...under the right settings. Be aware that with wine, all GPU instructions have to hit the CPU and get passed to the GPU rather than hitting it directly, so in some situations, there is a performance hit.

Here is what I use.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 11.53.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 11.53.27 AM.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 265

softypolimer

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2009
Indeed, last night I used OGL 1.78 and have no frame buffer effects issue at all. And yeah, there are some strange situation that will drop your framrate.

Also pcsx2 mac release a new build yesterday, check it out if you like .I dont feel like it yet as my MBP will not handle it anyway.

wilycoder

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Go buy parallels and save yourself a lot of time and frustration.

I can even watch blu ray discs using VLC in parallels.

/thread

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
1. BUY parallels
2. BUY windows
3. Virtualize windows for the sake of a single application. This is expensive and inelegant.

or

1. BUY NOTHING.
2. use wine

The most frustrating thing about this is configuring the plugins, and you have to do that even with parallels.
----------
Edite2:
Succeed! I just let it run the batch command file, no need to enable virtual desktop.

PEC isn't that difficult to get working. I didn't bother including it because everyone knows cheaters are bad people. ;)

Right click on the epsxe wrapper, show package contents, and poke around in there. tada!

As for pcsx2 mac being updated (to a new ALPHA) I'm going to avoid it. I've been burned before. Besides, one of the coolest perks is bumping up the resolution, and pcsx2 mac has trouble doing that without choking. Still, I'm glad to see zedr0n is continuing work on that. Do some research on why the PS2 is so difficult to emulate and you will certainly appreciate the challenges these guys are facing.

Last edited:

softypolimer

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2009
I know it's bad for those who can help themselves but cheating. However I just love to mess round with the old games like I got a stage habiit trying several hacked roms, strange cheat code, debug mode ect. from emulation community. it really does give me a whole new (mostly funny) feeling of the old game I played.

This may not be a good excuse but I really don't have a time to spend on long long hours on the the rpg like an old day anymore, life is being cruel. I stopped halfway for many games (Yakuza3, Star Ocean The Last Hope, Heavy Rain) to finish my works and when I came back it's ether I'm too tried or forgot what I do have to do in the game.

For a few years now I mostly play a fighting or puzzle game as it's quick and easy to catch on.:eek:

Edit:
Every time I talk about emulation makes me like buying a windows PC but every time I heard of emulation news on mac side I felt blessed.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
Since we're talking about other games now, I'm gonna quietly pimp off one of my most favoritiest games evar of all time infinity. Easily one of my top picks on the PS1, which had the honor of being host to a whole slew of personal favorites.

In my oh so very humble opinion, the PS1 was the last great console, and was only matched by the original 8-bit Nintendo for pure quality and fun per pound. None of the other consoles have ever come close. You can have your Xboxamajigs and Weezits or whatever. They're all CRAP!

I'm old and cantankerous.

But enough hype and buildup and waxing nostalgic. What you people need to do right now is find a way to grab...(dramatic pause)...Alundra!

Geddit! Mentaluproar has already shown you all the way to get ePSXe running smoothly on your Macintosh machines, so you ain't got no excuse. :mad:

softypolimer

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2009
mentaluproar, I think you should change this topic to "ePSXe on mac" and move your "how-to" to the first post with a bit of pictures.

A lot of people still have no idea about wine or they can run their favorite Emulator from windows on mac easily. The main reason for doing this because there are many of them or the better version of the same emulator is on windows only. Another reason that I stick with PSX emulation for 10 years now is because I can easily dump my own cd images (legally) lol. (not like nes since I does not own any rom dumping tools)

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
mentaluproar, I think you should change this topic to "ePSXe on mac" and move your "how-to" to the first post with a bit of pictures.

A lot of people still have no idea about wine or they can run their favorite Emulator from windows on mac easily. The main reason for doing this because there are many of them or the better version of the same emulator is on windows only. Another reason that I stick with PSX emulation for 10 years now is because I can easily dump my own cd images (legally) lol. (not like nes since I does not own any rom dumping tools)

I think I will do that. I came to post an update to this with a new issue I found in wineskin, but it's a real easy fix.

Do not use the WS9Wine1.5.9 engine. There are issues with the supported resolutions list. I am still running Lion so I haven't tested if this occurs on mountain lion. WS9Wine1.5.8 works perfectly.

EDIT: Done!

Last edited:

pclafferty

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
reason why USB device isn't being read while using Wineskin?

here's a question far afield of your interest but which may have tangential relationship to your questions about Wineskin:

my son has type 1 diabetes. We've just bought a glucose monitor whose software is PC only. I've found Wineskin and been able to figure out how to make it run the monitoring software. My issue now: when I plug in the monitor with the USB cable, it doesn't detect the device.

Am I asking too much of WIneskin or is there another feature I have to toggle?

humbly yours
Patrick in Dallas

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
That device likely requires a driver to function. Wine doesn't handle drivers because it isn't a real operating system. You would need boot camp or virtualization for that to work. Another option is finding one for ios on iPad or iPhone. I'm sure they have those.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Updates...

EDIT: I overlooked something very important when I wrote this. Apple is really bad about writing drivers, in particular the drivers for the AMD/ATi GPUs. If you are blessed with one of these, running the latest wrapper is generally a bad idea. Everything will end up rendered in software rather than hardware, which is slow. There used to be a workaround back in the wine 1.4.x days, but it was holding developers back, so in 1.5.1, it was removed. Using a wine engine based on 1.4 should fix this. There is a patched engine, "WS9Wine1.5.12 AMDSpeedHack" which lets the latest version use hardware acceleration, but this supposedly causes trouble with GLSL shaders.

EDIT: avoid 2.5.5 if you are running mountain lion. wrapper 2.5.6 is stable, and fixed the nightmares that can occur when using mountain lion.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.