How to run EXTENDED smart hdd test with Apple HARDWARE Mac Pro RAID card?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Katagi, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Katagi macrumors newbie

Hello All,

This is my first post.. I was reading MacRumors for a long time and was always able to find correct answer for me. But not at this time.

I am running Mac Pro with Apple Mac Pro RAID Card (both early 2009 version) and since last crash of another WD HDD I am concerned about monitoring them (details and reasons below).

Short question is how to run EXTENDED self-test for drives attached behind apple hardware raid? All possible tricks with smartctl failed for me :( Tried any -d options without any luck.

Why I need this:

I like Apple's way to do just a green indicator saying "Verified" but last time it was same green with few read errors by extended test. (It also stayed "green" even after failed test). Ok probably this can be called "Verified" ...

But right now there is a MacBook Air of my wife with same green "Verified" hdd showing this by extended test:

196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 3
    5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 100 100 010 Pre-fail Always - 3
    !!! Error 3532 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1 hours (0 days + 1 hours)
    !!!!! 7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x000e 252 252 000 Old_age Always - 19

This practically means that HDD can't find 19 blocks PHYSICALLY. Sometimes laptop completely freezes for few seconds when hdd hits such blocks. But Apple's Disk Utility still shows everything is fine :eek:

P.S. Is there any tool to remap these blocks in order to avoid OS hitting them until SSD replacement will come?

2. Katagi thread starter macrumors newbie

Anybody? :( It looks like the only possibility I found is to remove the RAID card, boot with some CD, than run a test, than switch back... Damn :(

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm not sure with this specific card, but normally you can set the disks as Pass-Through, and go that way.

As per remapping, you'd need to get the utility from the drive maker you're using (each drive maker is different). Understand that it will wipe the data, as it's meant to salvage the disk, not data. So make sure you've a backup first.

Also, you'd likely need to run either a DOS or Windows enfironment to make the utility work (I don't recall many drive makers supplying an OS X version).

4. Katagi thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using the Apple Mac Pro RAID Card 2009. Found it to be the only option for late 2009 Mac hardware RAID. As always THE ONLY option Apple has for its RAID Card Utility: "Use shapes to inidcate status" which changes the style :)eek:) how green indicators look like.

All my tries to get smartctl through controller card to disks failed :( Though Apple RAID utility still gets this green **** so at least it is able to get basic SMART status - I just want to know how!

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

From Apple yes. But MaxUpgrades makes an adapter ($165USD) that allows you to use 3rd party cards with the internal HDD's. Otherwise (either not the internal bays and locate them in the optical bays), or externally located drives will work without special adapters. Just be aware of any cabling required, depending on the specific card and enclosures used.

I've not used that specific card, but usually there's either a specific util for the card or it's via a web browser to access the card's setup functions. I presume you know how to do this. Look for something like Pass Through (single disk operation /=JBOD or RAID level of any kind).

Otherwise, check the manual thoroughly, and possibly place a call to Apple's support line. You could also pull the card temporarily, and check the drives from the logic board.