How to run Hulu Plus on Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by betman, Mar 9, 2014.

1. betman macrumors regular

My internet provider automatically shows its subscribers as using a US IP when accessing sites like Hulu or Netflix, so that is no problem.

The question is how do I get my Apple TV to show the Hulu Plus app? Do I just need to set up a US iTunes account and it will display automatically?

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Update the software. What model you have? The old models don't have it.
    http://www.apple.com/appletv/whats-on/

When signing in to Hulu use your Hulu account info.

I am not sure it requires you to be signed in to your iTunes account, but it might be a good idea to have one so you can leverage all other benefits of having an AppleTV.

3. betman thread starter macrumors regular

I've actually just read that it's best to do things via Apple TV so that Hulu never sees your data. That way you pay via iTunes and everything goes through just fine as long as you have a US iTunes account. Apparently even your IP doesn't matter in this case...

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Some Hulu plus content is available earlier if you sign in using you cable account.
    Anyway Comcast is fo-king of everything.

5. Otago Lad macrumors member

Hi Betman - where are you based? I'm in New Zealand and do exactly what you do (although I use unblock-us to get around the geo-blocking). The first thing you'll want to do is set the region of the apple TV to the United States and once you do that you'll see all the different US apps appear - can't remember whether you need to log in with a US iTunes account for this to show or not (I have my apple TV linked to my US iTunes account permanently), although from memory its simply the choice of region that matters.

Next, you will want to have a US iTunes account and have credit in it - various ways to do this:

1. Use a site that sells iTunes Gift Cards - I use http://www.pcgamesupply.com.

2. Get someone you know in the US to buy you some iTunes Gift Cards.

3. Use a credit card that allows you to choose a USA address - for example, in New Zealand the Air New Zealand Onesmart Visa allows you to choose any USA address as do a number of the gift Visa cards.

Once your US iTunes account has credit on it go on to the appleTV and purchase your subscription to Hulu+ through it rather than signing up online - this means the charge each month comes from your iTunes account and as long as it is in credit you'll be fine.

Best of luck.

6. linds15 macrumors 6502a

yup, you dont need to use your US itunes account, i use my canadian, just switch to the us store in settings and the apps will appear. if you're in canada theres ways to use your canadian card as if it were american.

7. zoonyx macrumors 6502

Just sign in with a US itunes account and it appeared for me (in the UK).

I use smartdns, and set up my hulu account with a USA pre-paid credit card maker (you can make cards on the fly)... something to do with visa. Just top up with your paypal and away you go.

8. betman thread starter macrumors regular

I use a UK iTunes account and this was keeping me from seeing the Hulu Plus app. But once I changed regions the app came up of course (though this naturally disabled the UK iTunes account).

Seems like all I need to do is get a US account set up and topped up. Will take your advice and order from that online store. Many thanks!

9. betman thread starter macrumors regular

Just curious but does Netflix work the same way, pay via Apple TV and no worries then about your IP?

10. linds15 macrumors 6502a

netflix is easier. regardless of your origin account, netflix plays content based on where it thinks you are. So, when you signup for netflix you signup for NETFLIX, not netflix (fill in country you are in). because of this its easy to just signup and then alter your location. hulu is on availible in the states, so you have to signup as if you are in the states, meaning tricking it into your cc is american, or using us itunes cards.

11. betman thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting info about Netflix. But when using Apple TV I understand they no longer check IPs but everything is done according to which iTunes account you're using on Apple TV?

12. linds15 macrumors 6502a

unless thats very new, it doesn't work for me. change the iTunes store to usa and all the american apps will show up, but you need to be on a vpn or something to get them to function. if its disconnected, hulu will just load for several minutes then come back with an error, and netflix defaults back to my native country

13. betman thread starter macrumors regular

I guess this change is (semi-)recent as older reports show that the Apple TV would work anywhere with Hulu for instance, just as long as you were using a US iTunes account to pay.

My ISP automatically shows its users as having a US IP when using Hulu or Netflix, a UK one when using iPlayer, etc. So at least the IP address is something I don't have to worry about... :)