How-to: Run iOS 5 without dev account

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brayhite, Jun 7, 2011.

1. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Just posted on cultofmac: http://cultm.ac/jlyWNp

Edit: No I am not trying this myself, just thought others may be interested. And yes, I know a similar link was posted in the "can you.." thread, but figured if someone came here looking for a way to do this, this would be a better title and place for discussion.

2. nora47 macrumors regular

interesting, if ios5 were stable enough id try this with my iphone4 since my ipad is registered but id rather not deal with pressing emergency call.

3. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

Before you get too excited (like I did), note that this is only possible with iPhone, not with iPad or iPod Touch.

4. nora47 macrumors regular

yes this is legit and as stated above iphone only. This thread will likely get killed by the mods soon but anybody can go to gizmodo.com to learn how to do it.

5. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Since officially you can't go back to iOS4 after you've installed iOS5, I would be very leery of thismethod. It's obviously a backdoor hole that Apple will obviously fix in future beta updates. So you if upgrade now using this method, and you are not a registered developer, you may be stuck with a beta rev 1 iOS until the final GM of iOS5 is released....IMO...just a warning.

6. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Oh no, you won't be stuck.. Betas generally expire, so your phone will be a doorstop until the Final GM.

7. PhoneI macrumors 65816

didnt work on my test iPhone 3GS. I get '3002' error. "The iPhone cannot be updated".

8. nora47 macrumors regular

not true, if you have your shsh stored then you can enter dfu and restore.