How To Run Jaguar on Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lucky°, Oct 31, 2010.

1. lucky° macrumors newbie

Hello.

I would like to run Mac OS X Jaguar and earlier, virtualized on my MacBook. I am talking about the same way I can run Windows 95 on current versions of Windows by using Virtual PC.

What software can I use to accomplish this on the Mac?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. lucky° thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you serious? There is nothing that can do this on the Mac?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I am very very sure it cannot be done at all.

5. larkost macrumors 6502a

Why didn't you post your reasons for wanting to do this? We can probably come up with better solutions if you ask a better question.

6. lucky° thread starter macrumors newbie

A friend of mine gave me Jaguar CD's that he did not need because he didn't have the hardware to run it on anymore.

I am very curious about Jaguar because I never used it! I would love to install it on something like Virtual PC and see what it was like. Sure, it may not be much but I am genuinely interested.

Very disappointing that there is no way to do this virtually.

7. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There are no virtual machines that emulate a PowerPC machine that is capable of running any form of Mac OS X.

9. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

PearPC is very old (hasn't been updated since 2006), slow (if it even works), and buggy. I've never gotten it to work. And I also think it's Windows only.

11. lucky° thread starter macrumors newbie

PearPC is only for Windows. Also, it is difficult to configure. I remember trying CherryOS for Panther and it was difficult also.

Guess there is nothing that can be done.

Thanks for the replies.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Get a cheap powerpc mac, that will probably be easier to go that route then try to go the vm route

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

But if you get a PowerPC Mac, make sure it can run Jaguar, as Macs are designed to be incapable of running any Mac OS X version prior to the one it came with, for example a Mac, that came with Mac OS X 10.2.6 can not run Mac OS X 10.2.5 or earlier.
    And if those CDs you got are the grey Restore versions of Jaguar, they can only be installed on the exact same model of Mac. If the CDs were meant for a PowerBook 3,4, they can't be used for a PowerBook 3,3 or 3,5 .
    If the CDs are the Retail version, they should work, if the Mac came with a version prior to the one on the CDs.

Retail CD
    [​IMG]

14. iMacC2D, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  15. lucky° thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Yes, I actually have the retail CDs. I'm thinking about getting an old PowerMac G4. Those can run Jaguar, can't they? They are very cheap to find these days.

Thanks for replying!

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, most G4 PowerMacs should be able to run Jaguar, but the later models came with Jaguar, thus if the Retail version is older than the version that specific PowerMac came with, the CD will not work there.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/index-powermac-g4.html

Release history of Jaguar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.2#Release_history

Btw, I worked with Mac OS X 10.2.8 for a year and it was kind of dreadful in some ways (Disk utility and such), but it was an okay OS for editing SD broadcast video via Avid MC.