Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max7patek

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2014
I tried installing the patch again, but it told me that the patch was actually behind the current version (it said the patch was 1.16.1.0 and the current version was 1.16.1.1). I tried creating a new wrapper and starting over, but installation failed.

max7patek

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2014
I figured it out. For some reason "hide extensions" was on and when I renamed the .exe files to .mpq files, I only added a ".mpq" to the name while the extension remained .exe.
install.exe --> StarCraft.mpq.exe

The guide worked like a charm; Can't wait to finally play LAN with the fam again.
Thanks

F4LL3N

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
Awesome

I just wanted to say thanks ever so much for writing the instructions up for this. It works like a native app! I have one question - I was playing the game on Snow Leopard before I got a new laptop running Mavericks. Is there anyway I can copy the saved file from that game and put it into the wine app?

I know its a mis-match of O/S's so I am not sure if they kept the save file format the same... but thought I'd ask :)

hotheat

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2014
Starcraft

Hey guys, ive had an itch to play the origional starcraft (not brood war)

Im looking into buying the game, but then I thought there would be no battle.net

Since you've guys recently posted, are you able to play on battle.net still?

And are you actually able to find games besides UMS games.
Like can you actually find and play 1on1's, 2on2s, 3v3s?

Thanks in advance!

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I just wanted to say thanks ever so much for writing the instructions up for this. It works like a native app! I have one question - I was playing the game on Snow Leopard before I got a new laptop running Mavericks. Is there anyway I can copy the saved file from that game and put it into the wine app?

I know its a mis-match of O/S's so I am not sure if they kept the save file format the same... but thought I'd ask :)

The OS doesn't care about the game saves and they should still works just fine. If you are worried, upgrade the engine and wrapper by downloading a newer version in wineskin winery and start your game while holding the option key. Tell it the upgrade the engine and wrapper.

Otherwise, the app is self contained. Drag and drop.

Teleboy13

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
Trying to run BroodWar, but says 'will not play without disk'

I'm all sorts of confused over this... i've downloaded the BroodWar patch for windows, copied the Install.exe file into the StarCraft program files and changed it to BroodWar.mpq (plus all of the other steps in order, this is the 9th time i've tried this...) and i'm still getting the 'will not play without disk' popup. I can see that the BroodWar.mpq file is in the drive_c>program files>starcraft but still no go. i've tried using the most current ws9wine 1.7.22 and the one used in this thread ws9wine 1.7.10 and am not having any luck. Is there something i'm missing? i've got the diskless play option to work on the bootcamp side of the hard drive, but i'd rather use it on the mac side haha! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
You need to run that patch, then have the install file copied and renamed. Mind the extension, as osx will try to "help" you.

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
I would like to thank Mentaluproar and doh123 for this amazing guide. I've followed it yestarday and everything worked exactly as described. :) Maybe it would be good to put into main post intructions on changing App icon, but it's so easy anybody should be able to do it. :)

So, thanks yet again. :) By the way, SC:BW is still one of my all time favourites. I keep original discs like most valued artifacts. :p

Last edited:

jamesltpz

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2014
hello

hey man, thanks for the awesome post! just got a new macbook so I had to have sc installed on it. I bought the digital download from battle.net so I was able to skip the steps about having access to the .exe files just for other people's knowledge. However, I used the most recent wine wrapper and was wondering if that affected the problems I have? I can see barely anything in the menus on battle.net because the graphics are all messed up and also when I alt+tab the wrapper turns into a small window that I can't make full screen again. Suggestions?

dwm8534

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2014
Cannot find wrapper

Hi, I appreciate the posts here and have tried to follow the instructions, but have not gotten past step 2. After downloading Winery I installed the latest engine, WS9Wine1.7.24 and then clicked Create New Blank Wrapper. It asks me to download Mono which I accept, then it asks me to download Gecko which I also accept. It appears to complete the entire process without a problem and gives me this message:

Wrapper Creation Finished
Created file: SC.app
Created in /Users/dwm8534/Application/Wineskin

I click View Wrapper in Folder and it returns me to the main Winery menu. Finder doesn't open, so I go to the application folder and see no SC. Winery hasn't created a subfolder, so I don't know where to find the wrapper!

I thought perhaps I shouldn't use the most recent Winery engine so I repeated all of this using WS9Wine1.7.10 as suggested in the original post, but I had the same exact experience. I tried rebooting and doing it all again, but no change.

My application folder is NOT read-only, and I am logged in as the admin on this computer, which is running OSX 10.7.5. I'm not sure what other information would be useful in helping me, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it!

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Hi, I appreciate the posts here and have tried to follow the instructions, but have not gotten past step 2. After downloading Winery I installed the latest engine, WS9Wine1.7.24 and then clicked Create New Blank Wrapper. It asks me to download Mono which I accept, then it asks me to download Gecko which I also accept. It appears to complete the entire process without a problem and gives me this message:

Wrapper Creation Finished
Created file: SC.app
Created in /Users/dwm8534/Application/Wineskin

I click View Wrapper in Folder and it returns me to the main Winery menu. Finder doesn't open, so I go to the application folder and see no SC. Winery hasn't created a subfolder, so I don't know where to find the wrapper!

I thought perhaps I shouldn't use the most recent Winery engine so I repeated all of this using WS9Wine1.7.10 as suggested in the original post, but I had the same exact experience. I tried rebooting and doing it all again, but no change.

My application folder is NOT read-only, and I am logged in as the admin on this computer, which is running OSX 10.7.5. I'm not sure what other information would be useful in helping me, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it!
The only thing I know of that can cause that is that permission was denied trying to make the Applications or Wineskin folder in it in your home folder... its trying to do this all in your home folder, not in /Applications. Just sounds like a permissions issue.

Also... normally you want to NOT install Mono or Gecko unless the wrapper you are putting together specifically need them... or they just waste space. Wine always wants them, so it specifically prompts... that was a design decision by the Wine team because they designed it to be installed once on the machine, not to use in a wrapper like function. I don't take that out in Wineskin engines simply because I want to use stock Wine code.

dwm8534

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2014
I am not very familiar with Mac file structures, but afaik I am looking in the home folder Applications with an admin account. I have read/write privileges on everything. Whether I skip the Mono/Gecko or not, the same thing happens.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I am not very familiar with Mac file structures, but afaik I am looking in the home folder Applications with an admin account. I have read/write privileges on everything. Whether I skip the Mono/Gecko or not, the same thing happens.

its standard UNIX type permissions... admin account doesn't necessarily have read/write. Your account your logging in with will work, wether its admin or not, as it should have full access to its own home folder... unless the permissions are broken.

Do you have a folder in your Home folder called Applications? Is there anything in it? Its possible something else made this folder since it doesn't normally exist by default, and set the permissions wrong during creation.

If you have one there...
open Terminal, which should default already be in your home folder.
You can type in...
ls -l
Find the entry that lists the Applications folder (folder name on the far right), and put that full line here...

If you do NOT have one there...
we could always try making it manually... type in...
mkdir Applications
and it should make it... if it gives you a permission denied error, you definitely have permission issues. If thats the case try this...
cd /Users
ls -l
and get the full line showing your home folder, which has info on who owns it and what the permissions are.

dwm8534

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2014
In Finder I have a home folder "dwm8534" that has folders desktop, documents, downloads, movies, etc under it. Not an applications folder.

Separately I have an applications button in my sidebar. I don't know where that exists in the file structure. That is where Winery exists, as well as all of my programs/apps.

That is literally the extent of what I know about Mac file structures (and I know even less about UNIX).

I found terminal under applications/utilities and ran it, then typed ls -l and saw the same folders listed in the above lines under "dwm8534" - not an applications folder. I don't know how to interpret the various codes listed here though.

I then tried to make it and got permissions denied.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I found terminal under applications/utilities and ran it, then typed ls -l and saw the same folders listed in the above lines under "dwm8534" - not an applications folder. I don't know how to interpret the various codes listed here though.

I then tried to make it and got permissions denied.
the main Applications folder is a system wide one that is not in your home folder. You can run Wineskin wrappers from there, but for simplicity they are not created there due to permission issues.

It sounds like your home folder has broken permissions. As long as you are logged in as user dwm8534, then you should always have permission to make folders or whatever else you want in that folder.

Trying doing the last thing I wrote up there...
in Terminal
cd /Users
ls -l

Copy and paste the results back here... we need to figure out if its just permissions or ownership that is the issue.

Doh123, do you take donations for your wineskin work?
There is a Donate button on the Wineskin website, which uses Paypal. I usually get enough to cover the website/bandwidth costs, and sometimes some snacks while working on stuff :)

dwm8534

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2014
I'll save you the trouble - based on what you were saying, I simply created a folder called Applications in my home folder and reran the process from the beginning, and now I'm playing starcraft! It turns out the permissions were fine, I just didn't realize that the Applications tab in my quickfinder wasn't the same as a folder where I needed it. I appreciate all of the help and apologize for my being dense before. I learned something in the process about my mac.

Thanks again!

wtu519

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
HI!

Thx for this guide!

I have done all the steps as told (but with Diablo II and Diablo II LOD), but as I´d like to run the wrapper I get this error: "Error 25: A Critical Error has occurred while initializing Direct3D."

Anyone have any ideas?

I have just seen this: I have written the registry entry "VideoMemorySize" and set the value to "256" but after I tried to start it, the registry entry isn´t there anyway....

Last edited:

Guido0

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
Firstly, thanks so much for the awesome instructions! They were perfectly clear and the only things that went wrong were my fault for not reading carefully enough :) I'd prefer to not run this game in full screen but can't move the window around my desktop after I command+tab out of full screen. Does anyone know if I can do this?

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
How to run Starcraft Broodwar on OSX 10.8 or later

Starcraft was designed as a full-screen game. There is no windowed mode on that game. Seeing it in the small box is different from an actual window. It's just drawing at the game's native resolution, which is far lower than what OSX is working with. So it looks kind of like a window in that it is over things but it's not meant to work that way. It's really more of a glitch than a feature.

It is theoretically possible to run full screen apps in a fixed size window though, but that would be something to ask doh123 about. I'm not a coder, I'm a theater major with techlust.

If he's not watching this thread anymore, try going to his wineskin winery website. I believe there is a feature request section there somewhere.
http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.