How to run Tor on the PowerPC

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Hack5190, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Hack5190, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016

Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

The safest (and easiest) way to use Tor is via their Tor Browser. However, there is no official Tor Browser for our PowerPC's. There is a old (2015-Feb) project on sourceforge available for downloading that does work (https://sourceforge.net/projects/osxpowerpcpackages/). The concern I have is that this project uses a old version of Firefox / TenFourFox.

As an alternative I choose to install Tor and edit the proxy settings of TenFourFox when using Tor. Below are directions for installing Tor on your system. Note that the binaries in the link are version 0.2.4.21, as of today (23 Feb 2016) the current version of Tor is 0.2.7.8.

Step by Step:
    • Unzip and copy the Tor directory to your system
    • Open terminal. CD to the copied directory. Enter "./tor"
    • Multiple status messages will scroll by and then you will see the message "Tor has successfully opened a circuit"
    • Now configure your browser to use Tor by editing the browsers network settings
    • Choose Manual Proxy
      • Set the Socks Host to "127.0.0.1"
      • Set the Port to "9050"
      • Set the Socks type to "Socks 5"
    UPDATE - 18 Mar 2016:

Additional security settings are recommend when using TenFourFox with Tor. That list of changes can be found here -> https://www.privacytools.io/#about_config

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You can also run your email apps and stuff like Dropbox through TOR using the SOCKs proxy as well.

At one point I had my Mac connecting to the JonDo Network and dumping my traffic into TOR.

What I posted on Facebook at the time…
    Note that doing this makes your Mac slow to browse.

330823_491623240854700_232246757_o.jpg
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2016 ---
    Note, in my pic I am using Vidalia. Makes it easier to stop/start Tor.

3. Hack5190 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

In my testing with the command line version of Tor - it doesn't use a lot of CPU or RAM. The surfing speed is good, try it ;)

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Oh no. No, no, no. :D

I was doing that for about two years or so, but the downsides eventually got to me. Facebook, Microsoft, Google and my ISP all saw me bouncing around between countries because your IP changes with your Tor exit node. That in itself is not a problem but I got very tired of authenticating all the time, very tired of Google locking me out of search or requiring me to take steps in order to search and/or your Google search page changing depending on which country the Tor exit node was "in". Microsoft wanted me to relogin each time I wanted to use webmail in the same session because it detected I was in a different country every five minutes and my ISP actually started denying delivery of my email to Entourage for the same reason.

Google also denies you outright if it detects that the IP address is an overused exit node.

It just got to be a very real hassle, especially considering all I was doing is what I do now. Post here and on a few other social sites and read Google News.

But if I do need to do this again, I'll try your method.