Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beansbaxter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Seattle
I have a maxed out 2015 15" MacBook Pro, with a Radeon M370X 2GB video card, running macOS Sierra.

I need to run a very specific use case environment using Windows XP for a few hours. What are my options for running a virtual environment on my Mac? I do not need a permanent solution, so it doesn't have to be perfect. Are there any free/paid software solutions for running a Windows XP virtual environment on my Mac?

And I would prefer not upgrading macOS, because everything works great, but I would consider upgrading macOS if that's the only way to solve this problem.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
When I was using High Sierra (or was it Sierra? it was about 3-4 years ago) and before I bought VMWare fusion, I tried Wine and CrossOver, but didn't have much success with them for my particular use case.

I recommend you give a virtual machine a try (either with parallels or with VMWare Fusion), since they offer free trials and you say you only need them for a few hours.

You'll need a copy of XP, of course. If you borrow it *cough*download it*cough*, make sure it is SP3; it's the least dangerous one.

Reactions: beansbaxter

beansbaxter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Seattle
Thank you for the suggestions. I was able to install Windows XP SP3 using Parallels Desktop, and everything works great.

xp-windows.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.