Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vgunkid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
Hey. I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to offer up some instructions on how I can go about getting vista 64 to work on my new imac. I didnt realize it wasnt supported and bought it and now cant figure out how to get drivers for it, and get them installed. Thanks!

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Hey. I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to offer up some instructions on how I can go about getting vista 64 to work on my new imac. I didnt realize it wasnt supported and bought it and now cant figure out how to get drivers for it, and get them installed. Thanks!

If you already own Vista 64 AND your iMac has 4gb of ram, here is a potential solution:

1. Avoid the bootcamp route and go to VMware's fusion page and download a demo of Fusion for free
https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=fusion
2. Follow VMware's rather straight forward installation process and load the 64 bit version of Vista. Vista will take a while to load.
3. Then test.
If it works, spend the $80 and buy the Fusion license and if it doesnt work, well, all you did was spend the time to try it out.

BTW....I have been successfully running the 64 bit version of Win 7 beta on my MBP with NO PROBLEMS. Actually the software is quite good.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.