How to run WMV movies in fullscreen?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SebZen, Jul 21, 2009.

1. SebZen macrumors 6502

I downloaded the WMV Player plugin thing from Microsoft so that I could stream WMV movies from the web. Problem is, they all show up in TINY boxes where it's really hard to see anything and I can't find a way to put them fullscreen. Is this not possible?

If not, is there a way I can stream WMV movies fullscreen without having to depend on Flash?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

If you go to the System Pref for the Windows Media plug-in you installed, there should be an option with something along the lines of "always open videos in Quicktime Player". Which, if I understand correctly, should pop them into QT player where they can be resized easily.

I don't think this works for embedded videos, though (as in, one that shows up within the page rather than all by itself). There is a workaround of grabbing the video's URL from the page source, but that's a pretty big hassle if you're going to be doing it regularly.

Maybe somebody else knows a better workaround for embedded WMV/ASF videos, since my wife has been getting annoyed by this, too (the news site she uses just discontinued the Real version, which of course worked and looked drastically better than the cruddy ASF).

3. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

You downloaded Flip4Mac right? If your watching the videos in QuickTime, hit Command-F to make the video full-screen.

4. SebZen thread starter macrumors 6502

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If there isn't a button to make the file being played in your browser full screen, it cannot be done without downloading the file.

Use a site that does something better with their time besides playing WMV video. Absolutely terrible codec.

6. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Are you playing a WMV that is saved on your computer or streaming one off the web?

WMVs play natively in QT for me...

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

He's talking about WMVs embedded within a web page like on his example link, which has basically the same issue as any other page-embedded video without a "fullscreen" button.

Here's one clumsy workaround, though: If you get Quicktime Pro, you can wait for the WMV to finish loading then right/control click on the movie and select "Save as Source" to save the movie to your hard drive. It will then open in QT player and can be expanded to fullscreen.

On an unrelated note, what is up with that GT site? Who in their right mind uses Flash to load a WMV instead of just using Flash to do everything?

8. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Another lame attemp at full screen would be to make sure screen zooming is on and zoom into that specific area. Usually its ctrl + scroll, or cmd + scroll.