How to safely ship an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Germac2014, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Germac2014 macrumors newbie

This might be an odd question, but I'm trying to sell my old iMac (21,5" 2010) online and really don't know how to ship it without any damage. I don't have the original packacking anymore, so would it be appropriate to put the Mac screen-downwards into a box covered in a soft foam layer and with lots of bubble wrap? What other cheap and good methods would you suggest?

I will ship with DHL by the way, so there will be a transportation/damage insurance for up to 2500 EUR.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd take it to a shipping store, like a UPS store. They'll package it and guarantee that it won't get damaged in transit.

3. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I know this doesn't help you now, but in the future, it's best to keep both the iMac packaging as well as the cardboard shipping box it came in. Sure, it takes up some space, but it's invaluable if/when you move or sell the iMac.

For now, I would not place it screen it in a box screen down. Rather, I would place it screen up. Before doing so, I would wrap the entire iMac in a soft micro-fiber cloth material to prevent any scratches or rub marks during shipping, and then I would cradle the entire iMac with foam and then a layer of airbags on top of that. Ensure that you use a heavy duty double-walled cardboard box and I would clearly label which side should be up during shipping.

Best of luck,
    Bryan