How to save docs from Numbers on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iClive, Mar 4, 2012.

1. iClive macrumors regular

This is equally a question about Epson iPrint.

I am using Numbers on iPad 2 with iOS 5.0.1 and am trying to print to our wireless Epson SX435W.

The SX435W supports wireless printing for the iPad/iPhone/iPod using the Epson iPrint app. Consequently, when trying to print directly from Numbers, the printer does not appear as an AirPrint printer.

iPrint supports printing from Photos (the photo album) or "Saved Documents". However, Numbers appears to have no facility for saving documents and the iPrint Documents folder is empty.

The only other option would be to use online storage but there is nothing in common here as Numbers supports iWork.com, iDisk, and WebDav, whereas iPrint supports Evernote, Google Docs, Dropbox, and Box.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I guess your option is to sync the files to iTunes and open and print them on your Mac. Alternatively you could buy a fully Airport compatible printer.

I was in the same boat with exactly the same printer a few months back. I purchased the model above....The SX 535W which is fully Airport compatible. No wires, just the electricity cord and off you go.

It's a great printer too....One word of warning though. Epson don't bundle the full software package on the DVD...You have to download it via Download Navigator which is included.

This gives you advanced high res. scanning as well as OCR by Abbey. The printer was on special when I bought it, but runs to about £100 UK so $ 158.00 Not bad really.

3. iClive thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, there are options to get it to a Mac, such as saving to iTunes or emailing, but I'm trying to find a solution to print directly from the iPad. I'd also rather avoid changing the printer (and with hindsight should have researched the differences between iPrint and AirPrint).

There is a workaround, although not very eloquent, which is to take a screenshot and then print the "photo" from iPrint.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Could you email it to yourself, then print? I used to use that method when desperate!

----------

Ooops...My bad...DOH, need more coffee!

The Airport printer is the way to go though...I picked mine up for £60.00 but they have gone up....The SX425 is on the market place for sale....Only 3 months old, but it was driving me nuts. The totally wifi solution is liberating!

5. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

You could jailbreak and use iFile to move the files back and forth from your Dropbox folder. I've done this quite a bit for apps that don't have Dropbox support.

If you're going to jb, do it soon, because it's likely that Apple will release iOS 5.1 alongside the iPad 3 announcement on Wednesday.

6. iClive thread starter macrumors regular

awesome! :D

7. DctrJ macrumors member

I used DropDav back when it was free. Now they want $5 a month which is ridiculous! I did some searching and found SMESStorage in the app store. It's a one time cost of $5 and they email you instructions once you register on how to setup the WebDav for DropBox. Now all my iWork apps work great with Dropbox!