How to save emails to USB thumb drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Merkava_4, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

My brother passed away last week. I have some of his emails in a storage folder in Mac Mail. I you guys could tell me how to save them to a USB thumb drive, I would be extremely grateful.

MacBook Pro 2007 Santa Rosa Edition
    2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    OS 10.6.8

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

My condolences for the loss of your brother.

Would the following work?
    - In Mail, create a new folder, and put the messages (or copies of them) you want to save (archive) into that folder
    - From the "Mailbox" menu, choose "Export Mailbox"
    - Save the exported mail files wherever you want (USB drive, etc.)

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sorry about your brother.

Just open the folder and select one of the emails, then hit command-a to select all. Then hit command-p to bring up the print dialogue. Then click the PDF button at the bottom left and select save as PDF. Now name the PDF and select a save location then click save. This will export all the mails to one PDF that you can read on about any device out there.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Weaselboy's solution above is a very good one... will create a nice "archive" of the emails for the future...

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I use the save to PDF all the time to save emailed receipts and documents I want to add to my filing system. Never realized that I could combine some of them one a single PDF. Very helpful tip, Thanks!

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

I would advice against using a thumb drive as long term storage, especially if those e-mails are dear to you. Thumb drives have a tendency to stop working at the worst possible moments.

I suggest you either store your files in the cloud or backed up in a few different places, such as an external hard drive or second computer.

7. Kaelbron macrumors member

I like your tip. I wondering if this a similar way to save mails to separate pdf-files? I have very many mails that I want to save but not want to have them in the mail.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

[[ I wondering if this a similar way to save mails to separate pdf-files? I have very many mails that I want to save but not want to have them in the mail. ]]

There may be an easier way, but I would think that to do this, you'd have to open each mail item, and choose to "print it to pdf", then save the pdf where you want.

Time consuming, but you'll end up with individual pdf's that way...

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't know of a way to do that other than selecting each message individually then saving it as a PDF.

10. Kaelbron macrumors member

The thing is that I have around 1500 emails, I think maybe they should save as pdf files so I can delete everything from the Inbox. Suspect that I would have to do so one by one, which I would prefer to avoid then its so many mails.

Thanks anyway

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have not really looked into it, but you might be able to do something with either Applescript or Automator to do what you want?

12. Kaelbron macrumors member

It's what I wondering because I'm not familiar with Applescript or Automator but Its must be a other way than to this manually?