How to save files onto an external HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MaskedPhantom, Dec 12, 2008.

1. MaskedPhantom macrumors regular

MaskedPhantom

I recently purchased a 1.5 TB Seagate external hard drive for use with my Macbook. My Macbook's HD is full, and I would like to move some files (iTunes, pictures, videos...) onto my hard drive. How would I do this? Also, say I move Pictures onto the external HD. Next time I download or import pictures, how do I know they will go to the external HD rather than to the Macbook's drive?

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I don't understand why you're asking how

I assume you just never used an external drive before. It should mount to finder as if it were a CD, or DVD. You will see it sitting in the finder sidebar, and maybe the desktop with the ability to eject it.

You can click on it, and drag files to it as if it were a folder on your computer. It may take a little time for large amounts of files to copy to it, but it will not be difficult.

***Remember to properly Eject it before unplugging it or cutting power to it

If you use iPhoto, or iTunes and wish to have all imported items go to the external, simply Create a folder somewhere on the drive, and point iPhoto or iTunes to it.

I would create a "Music" folder, then point itunes to "/volumes/external HDD/Music/"

It will then create or use the library that is in that folder by default

edit: by "point to" I mean go to settings and change the directory of the Library folder.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I'm assuming you're asking for the best way of transferring your music and photos to an external drive, rather than asking for details on how to actually move files around.

If you're using iTunes for your Music, take a look at http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive

If you're using iPhoto for your pictures, you just need to drag your Pictures/iPhoto Library folder to the external drive. When the copy is done, delete Pictures/iPhoto Library from your MacBook. Then when you start iPhoto, it'll ask you for the library location. Just browse to the new location.

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

that would work for itunes, except you copy the "iTunes" folder.

5. MaskedPhantom thread starter macrumors regular

MaskedPhantom

I did this, but when I open iPhoto, am I not greeted with any info box; only an empty library.

6. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin