How to save image of hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by czhe, Jan 19, 2008.

1. czhe macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

How do I go about saving an image of my Macbook hard drive? The reason is that I've just recently completed a new install of Leopard and I actually want to buy a new hard drive. I was also actually thinking of buying a bigger hard drive (from 80GB to 250GB). Is it possible to save an image of the 80GB and restore it on the 250GB?

Thanks for any help and advice,
    czhe

2. amactec macrumors newbie

Macbook HDD

There are several ways, but in my opinion imaging to an external firewire drive with Carbon Copy Cloner is the best/easiest way. CCC is a free download, google it, and the resulting image will be bootable off of the external drive, press Option key after start tone to access the boot manager, once you have your new drive installed in your MB.

In answer to your second question, yes, cloning from an 80GB to a 250GB drive is possible.

This is an excerpt from their web site, which I am NOT affiliated with in any way, but I have used this software and trust it. "CCC is considered donation-ware (uncrippled shareware). I worked hard developing CCC and its methodology and documenting it on the internet for the rest of the Mac OS X community. If you find CCC indispensable, please consider making a donation. Please note that if you are using CCC for an educational institution, you should NOT donate to Bombich Software. My heart is in Education and all software that I write shall always be free to Education."

So if you do use it, I think you should contribute, but that is up to you.

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Disk Utility (came with your machine) will make a disk image. But if you have an external drive just backup to that and restore to your new drive.

4. czhe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your replies! I will do just that :).

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

after i carbon copy all my 80gb into my 250gb ijust open up the battery get the HD out, switch and thats it?

6. GregE macrumors 6502

Yep

7. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

sounds too easy to be true lol,, how do i boot from the external drive before i switch, just to make sure it will work and i don t have to re-do it all over again?

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hold down Option while rebooting (at the chime) and you'll get a list of all bootable volumes.

9. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

great thx, i ll try that when it's done cloning