how to save in specific folders

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macswitcha2, Oct 2, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

When I open pdf's, I want to save the pdf's I open to a specific folder for those specific pdf's. How do I do this?

2. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

File menu: save as?

Are you using Apple's Preview program when you open the PDFs? Or are you opening them in Safari?

If you need to create the folders you want to save them to first, open a finder window, locate where you want to place the new folders, then control-click the space where the new folders should be placed, and select "new folder".

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

There's a "disclosure triangle" next to the file name in the SaveAs dialog box. Click that, and it will reveal the folder structure for you to navigate to the folder you want.

4. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm using Firefox as my web browser and using Adobe Reader to open pdf's.

I don't think it does this. All it has is an option to "save as," but when I choose that option is merely saves it to my download folder.

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

This, in preview.

Click that little blue triangle to the left file name. You can do this in any app that I have ever used.

Attached Files:

6. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

When you control-click the pdf in Firefox, does it give you the option to open the file in Preview (the application called Preview)? It would probably be easiest to open it in Preview and then save it from there.

I know that Safari does give this option when control-clicking on a pdf, so maybe you'd be better off using Safari for this pdf project.

Edit: Actually, it's ok that Firefox wants to save it to Downloads. As long as what it is saving is a PDF file, and it's what you need, you can move it wherever you want on your computer once it is saved to your disk. Just locate or create the folder where you want it, then simply drag the file from Downloads to this location.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, it does.

He means the other left. ;)

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Go to the Firefox menu
    Scroll down and select Preferences...
    Click the General tab
    Under the Downloads section, click the radio button next to Always ask me where to save files
    Close Preferences

9. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, thanks everyone, I will try all of these suggestions but I'm on my iMac and not my macbook and I'm going to bed now. Thanks!