How to save iTunes settings

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gaanee, Sep 9, 2013.

1. gaanee macrumors 6502a

I am going to reformat my laptop, so backing up my music collection. Is it possible to save songs customizations and iTunes settings, e.g. start/stop times for songs, and apply those settings after reformatting and reinstalling iTunes?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is all part of the iTunes Library. If you just copy your ~/Music/iTunes folder to an external drive then copy it back afterwards, all that info will still be there.

3. gaanee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried that before- moving songs from one folder to another and that information (start/stop time) is lost when you import it again to iTunes from the new folder.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You should not need to reimport anything. If you follow this and move the whole folder all the music and play data included in the library goes along with it.

5. gaanee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does all songs have to be in iTunes music folder? I have the entire music collection in a separate folder, so can I just copy that folder to external drive and put it back after reformatting?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can keep it separate and just tell iTunes preferences in the advanced tab where the folder is and uncheck the box that says to copy to the iTunes media folder.

7. gaanee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry for a noob question, Could you please direct me to which instructions you are referring to?

In my case, I have all music albums stored under "Documents -> xyzMusic ->... and then all folders according to artists' name. So, I have not synced it with iTunes Music folder. Now I want to copy everything under xyzMusic to external drive, reformat and then copy back to laptop. In doing this, how should I make sure that it retains all the information (start/stop times and such) associated in iTunes?

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Basically all your song info are saved in
    User/Music/iTunes folder inside

iTunes Music Library.xml
    iTunes Library.itl

As long as you backed up your iTunes preferences and those files and put files back to where it is, you'll keep your settings.

If that's too complicated for you use Time Machine or Migration Assistant.

9. gaanee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Also, do I need to back up all the iPhone apps or after reinstalling iTunes, it will automatically download it?

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I backup my apps too. But you can always re-download them from iTunes.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

They will be gone from the computer, so yes, you will need to back them up from the iPhone.