How to save my contacts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ozzhead, May 31, 2010.

1. Ozzhead macrumors member

I recently just sold my macbook where i used to sync my iphone to buy an ipad. But now i want to sell my 3gs in time for iphone 4/HD. All have is my PC desktop now and i want to try and save my contacts off my iphone. I know this is mainly a mac forum but I dont even know where else to ask, but is there anyway to save them till i get the next iphone?

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Load in iTunes and sync with you PC. Either use Outlook or Window address book depending on your software. Just be sure you don't wipe out your phone. Sync manually and be sure.

3. tuna macrumors 6502

I'm positive that they can be backed up in Microsoft Outlook. I would do some google searches about that. "iphone contacts sync outlook" or something like that

4. Ozzhead thread starter macrumors member

I see the option to sync with Google,i use google for almost everything but I don't have a book yet, but if i sync will it lose all my contacts? I never knew there was a Google option.

5. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

If you don't have Outlook (or don't want to risk it) this $5 iPhone/iPad app will do it:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/contacts-tool/id313137543?mt=8

I've used it to:
    • Save all of my contacts into a single backup archive on my iPhone
    • Upload that archive file onto my Mac (I'm guessing you'd upload to your PC?)
    • Download the archive to my new iPad
    • Unzip everything straight into Contacts on my iPad

Personally, I build an archive on my phone every couple of months. It's kinda nice having a set of complete archives going back in time - just in case

6. walds11 macrumors 6502a

I use google sync to sync my contacts. When I get the new iPhone, can I simply wirelessly sync my contacts back to the new device? Would I set-up the Exchange ActiveSync on the new device and I am good to go?

7. Ozzhead thread starter macrumors member

8. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

You did see this bit on the page:

"Backup your Contacts using iTunes

Before, I go deep into the How-To. There is a catch in setting up Google Sync. All contacts and calendar events will be removed during the setup process and replaced with your contacts in your Google account. So, make sure you sync all contacts via iTunes to Google before configuring Google Sync."

Do you still have access to an iTunes iPhone backup just in case? (I thought you'd sold your Mac?)

9. Ozzhead thread starter macrumors member

I turned on the Google contacts sync in itunes and let it sync and checked Google.com and all my stuff was now in the cloud.

thanks guys

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Anything you can do like this is best! Think about all your apps.

I had to send my phone away for repair and I was going to erase apps with private data on them, just to be safe.

But as I went through (Facebook, Twitter, G-Mail, Dropbox, Contacts, Calendar) I realized that pretty much nothing lives on my phone! I basically logged-out of everything and then after the fact, I logged back in.

I had never thought about it until then, but if my phone is ever lost or destroyed, I'd pretty much only lose the camera roll and saved-game data! That's pretty cool, honestly.

11. mpossoff macrumors 68020

The problem is in Goggle contacts make sure you have the contacts you want imported to iphone in a category or you'll be importing everything from your google contacts list that will show up in your contacts.

Me I only want phone #'s imported.

Marc