How to Save my files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flybirddog, Feb 20, 2008.

1. flybirddog macrumors newbie

So I think my imac (aluminum) Hard drive is toast. It got unplugged, not working(wouldn't restart). I used the start disk to "archive and install" It worked but computer was really slow. Trying to get my files off the imac to my macbook, to reinstall my imac clean. Using firewire I can't even access my hardrive from my macbook, both computers will freeze. I really need some help!!! My wife doesn't really care about much just wants our pictures. Any help is great!

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Have you tried to copy the files onto a USB flash drive (pen drive)?

3. flybirddog thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an external drive and when I drive to copy files over, it will start then freeze. I got a couple chances at it, now the computer won't boot to the desktop and will just go to a blinking file folder with a question mark. I have read that this means my hard drive is done for. I'm hoping I can at least save some files.

4. McGiord, Feb 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

My suggestions are:
    1- Launch your Mac with the OSX Install Disc, hold the C key while booting with the disc inside your Mac optical dirve, the run Disk Utility from it and verify/repair the disk, then see if it runs
    2- Launch your Mac with its HDD in Target Disk Mode, by holding the T key on your keyboard while booting, use with a firewire cable to connect it to your other Mac and you will see it as an external Firewire HDD, copy your files.
    ________
    essential vaaapp vaporizer

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

The question mark shows the computer can't find the OS

Start the computer using the Leopard disk, copy your files and then do an erase and install (clean install)