How to save original in Word 2011 without using tracking?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kkm9, Sep 9, 2013.

1. kkm9 macrumors newbie

I'm using Word to edit for a PC person. My first time. I choose not to use 'Track Changes' because it makes a mess of the pages I send back to her. I have my own style which makes it easier for her to read.

[All I want to use is Comments, visible double-strikethroughs, and highlighting text. But I can't get the Tracking adjustments to work the way I want so I disable them.]

When she sends me an original version of a chapter (Chapter 3.doc), I want to save it as is so I can refer to it when needed. But when I do a 'Save As', and keep it in a folder with her name on it, I find that later, once I start doing my edits, the saved original does not remain the original, but adopts the edits I'm making in Word.

Is there a way to save my originals, then proceed to edit without the changes appearing on the saved original?

Thank you.

Karen

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You're talking about two different files, right?

You're saving the original with a different name, and editing a copy, correct?

If so, I don't know how the two files are linked. If not, that's your problem.

3. kkm9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for responding.

It is an editing cooperation process: She sends me the doc. I want to first preserve a copy of her original, then do my editing on it in Word, then send that edited version back to her. I can send back the edited version with comments, etc, and she can open it--that part works fine. But my saved original does not remain in its original state, but instead shows all the changes I've made.

I've tried leaving it with the same name, adding '-original' to it, and still, it incorporates the changes instead of staying as originally sent.

Is that clearer?

K

4. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Assume that the original version of the file is named "MyOriginal.docx" and is stored on your Desktop.

I assume you do the equivalent of opening MyOriginal.docx in MS Word. Then, the first thing you do is "Save As...".

When you do "Save As..." and select say "Desktop/MyFriend" as the destination folder. What MS Word does is save a copy of the original file in "Desktop/MyFriend/MyOriginal.docx".

But, when the "Save As..." operation finishes MS Word will keep the file "Desktop/MyFriend/MyOriginal.docx" open. That is, Word keeps the new duplicate file open rather than keeping the original file open. This means that any changes you make will be made on the duplicate file that you created as a backup of the original.

The easiest way around this is to close the document after you use "Save As..." and re-open the original document before making your edits.

5. kkm9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You!

mrichmon, I just tried what you suggested and so far, it appears to work! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your clear explanation and solution.

It's especially nice to get an answer without having to do so on a Microsoft website, where they want me to log in, give info I don't want to give, and such. I'm so paranoid about MS (and Adobe) I think they'll be able to sneak into my laptop and detect the version of Word I'm using and force me to upgrade!

Thank you so much.

Best,
    Karen

6. onekerato macrumors regular

In Finder, if you select a file and hit CMD D, it will create a duplicate in the same folder. If the original file was called original.doc then the duplicate will be called "original copy.doc". This may be easier than the File > Save As.. routine in MS Word if all you want is a copy.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Actually, in your second paragraph, when using SaveAs, you give the document a different name. The example name is an unfortunate choice, but let's say you call it "MyOriginal-original".

Word will keep "MyOriginal-original" open, and "MyOriginal", the, um, well, original file will remain untouched.

Let's use another example. Say the file is called "Elka's Novel". I want to send the file back to Elka with some edits, but preserve the file "Elka's Novel" as she sent it to me. I would open "Elka's Novel" and do a SaveAs, calling the new file "Elka's Novel - My Edits". Then I can just continue working on that file, no need to close it and reopen "Elka's Novel" and it will remain the original, unedited file. This also has the advantage of not sending a file back to Elka that has the same name as the file on her computer.

8. kkm9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh! I checked back and found two more responses. Thank you. I will study and experiment with your added input.

Karen