Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keniff

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
United Kingdom
I've search high and dry for the answer to this question, so sorry if I'm the millionth person to ask...

About a year ago I finally did the right thing and bought a 1TB external HD for my 'G4 Dual Optical'.

I put all my music (and other stuff) on it and went into iTunes Preferences>Advance and changed the 'iTunes Music Folder Location' to my External HD.

Easy Peasy!

Then in January ('09), I upgraded the OS from OS X v10.4 to v10.5.6.
I did a complete fresh install, everything was fine, except when I redirected iTunes to my External HD I'd lost all my Playlists!

As you can imagine this was slightly frustrating as I have over 7000 songs in my iTunes library!

A couple of weeks ago, I spent hours and hours re-creating new playlist folders, and putting them in some kind of organization again.

Now, this is my Question:

I've now bought a new Mac and I was just getting everything over to the new one, this will be easy as everything is backed up, but how do I save those play lists?

I notice I can 'right-click' on a play list and I have a choice of things I can do!
Maybe it's this?

I'd be very grateful if somebody could explain in "Layman's Terms", how I can do this, as the idea of having to organize the library again is a daunting one!

Thanks so much in advance and I'm using iTunes 8.1.1, if that helps...

coronel mustard

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2008
Standish, England
1)Right click on the playlist you want to save

2)Select "Export playlist"

3)From the dialog box that pops up, pick where you want to save your playlist- keep the other setting as they are.

4)The playlist will then be saved as a .txt file.

Now if you want to import that playlist back into your library or a new one...all you need to do is this...

1)Open itunes

2)Click on File- Library- Import Playlist

3)Pick your saved playlist

And Viola! You have your playlist back in itunes. Hope this helps:)

Keniff

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
United Kingdom
YAY! :apple: Problem Solved! :D

Thankyou so much 'coronel mustard' I had a feeling it was something so simple and it's so nice to learn something new, so I can hopefully share some knowledge!

Thanks once again ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.