Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OHMS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
SANTA ANA CALIFORNIA
9.2.2 user here caught in the 10.4.6 world, so excuse my ignorance. David Pogue's The Missing Manual is a highly regarded print resource...AND I see a number of "moving from pc to mac; how about a "how to do in OS X what you've always done in OS 9 ???

I capture screen shots with a keysequence that creates .png files and puts them on the desktop. They have a shadow type font which I have not been able to change. I open a info window; but again see no option for where to store them. If I move them into a folder; the numbers already allocated and moved into the folder are duplicated on new .png files put on the desktop. Then I must rename each of them or they replace the previous file with that name moved to a folder.

I cannot 'drag' a window's top up above the display margin as in 9.2.2 Is there a way to move a window's edges beyond the screen?

Any ADB mini-DIN adapters to USB ? I've tried to search ADP - USB with no success.

Is there an acceptable ''bible'' of 10.4 for new converts? I appreciate the on-line help, but might help myself more if it didn't involve browsing through so many screens.
thanks
mike

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Regarding the screenshot location, you can change that from the default Desktop to any other folder by using Terminal. Here are some instructions.

David Pogue's The Missing Manual is a highly regarded print resource...lots of juicy stuff in there.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
OHMS said:
I cannot 'drag' a window's top up above the display margin as in 9.2.2 Is there a way to move a window's edges beyond the screen?

As far as I know they can only hang off the left, right, and bottom, but they cannot be any higher than the bottom of the menu bar in OS X. If you really need this, can you use a virtual screen kind of utility that makes the screen scrolling and larger than the actual desktop? I actually can't think of such an app offhand, but they exist for every other OS so they must be out there....

OHMS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
SANTA ANA CALIFORNIA
WildCowboy said:
Regarding the screenshot location, you can change that from the default Desktop to any other folder by using Terminal. Here are some instructions.

David Pogue's The Missing Manual is a highly regarded print resource...lots of juicy stuff in there.

Thanks; sounds like I need a missing manual. I haven't seen the Terminal; log in / log out... doesn't sound like the Mac I know. Seems one could pick a save as....to...and browse if necessary to find the folder desired. Oh well, thanks again; I'm off to find ..Terminal ...and the Missing Manual.
mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.