How to save settings during an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Luis Ortega, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I am upgrading from Tiger to Leopard and plan to do a fresh install.
    How do I save my emails, address book, bookmarks and internet connection settings from Tiger so that I can set them back up in Leopard?
    Tanks for any advice.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

your hard drive will be completely erased so you will have to either clone your hard drive using Carbon Copy Cloner to an external drive and then use Migration Assistant to migrate your data back or use guides such this and this to backup important data to a storage medium (either hard drive or DVDs) and then move them back to your new system.

3. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you. I already have a clone of my Tiger system so I assume that I will be able to still be able to boot up in that and locate the various files I need?
    I don't really want to migrate the apps since I have heard that that method sometimes creates glitches, but just migrating the emails and address book and bookmarks should be OK you think?
    Should I deactivate activated apps such as adobe master collection before proceeding so that I don't have activation problems later?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

no you wont need to deactive and active application suites on Macs as they usually rely on a serial and or email address to activate not your computer.