how to save shared files mac to pc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vickmac, Sep 30, 2011.

1. vickmac macrumors newbie

Hi I am new to this forum so hope Im in the right place. I have just set up my mac so I can see my mac folders on my windows laptop. I was hoping to find out the best way to save the files on my windows pc, so that when the same files are deleted on my mac, I still have them on my pc, (like a backup and extra storage). Im not sure the quickest way to save these files, anyone's help gratefully received. Thanks

2. z3r0inc macrumors regular

I can understand how you want the redundancy but this sounds tedious.

What you could do is set up a Public folder on the Windows machine and save everything in there. Unless there are some custom scripts that you can write, you will have to continuously switch files between different folders.

How sensitive are the documents? Have you considered Dropbox and have the two machines sync to one folder?

3. vickmac thread starter macrumors newbie

To be honest I just wanted an extra backup, I am about to install a fresh copy of snow leopard and although I have an external hard drive with all my time machine backups I am terrified I will loose all my files, as last time I managed to wipe the external hard drive when I installed leopard. Not wanting to do that again i thought Id have another backup on my laptop.I thought I could just plug the hard drive into my laptop but it didnt work. Not sure, perhaps If I know properly how to install SL without wiping my external HD I'll just use the external.

4. z3r0inc macrumors regular

Hmm... I know what you mean.

I haven't installed Snow Leopard recently but I could've sworn you can just install it without wiping.

I'm looking into NAS with RAID to help with issues like that. They're just a bit pricey though and I'm slowly realizing how little storage I really need for important stuff.

5. vickmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi again, yes I think drop box may be a good option, however can I then save the files, as it says any changes made to the original file is also made to the copy? or is there a way to keep an older copy of the original file?

6. z3r0inc macrumors regular

Itll work just like normal. If you want to keep the original, you'll need to save an extra copy of it.