Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I am selling a used SSD with Windows installed. What is the best way to remove everything in the drive? Is it better (more secure) to do it under Windows or Mac OS? Which method do you recommend?

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
The simplest way that doesn't require third-party tools:
Enable BitLocker (Windows) or FileVault (macOS) on the drive and let it finish the encryption process. Then remove the partition/volume and create a new, unencrypted one.

(But you really should check whether the Windows license allows you to distribute Windows installations like that - or, if nothing else, whether it's smart to tell the entire Internet that you're doing it...)

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The simplest way that doesn't require third-party tools:
Enable BitLocker (Windows) or FileVault (macOS) on the drive and let it finish the encryption process. Then remove the partition/volume and create a new, unencrypted one.

(But you really should check whether the Windows license allows you to distribute Windows installations like that - or, if nothing else, whether it's smart to tell the entire Internet that you're doing it...)
I would assume he just mention that the SSD he is selling has Windows installed on it. He can erase the windows afterwards. We never know.

And yeah, enabling encryption is good enough to destroy the data stored on device. Just to make sure Bitlocker does encrypt the whole drive, not just the space that has been used.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Yes, the SSD I am selling has Windows 10 installed on it. Don't have that PC anymore. Right now, I only have access to Windows 7 on my MBP.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I tried secure erase and disk utilities gave me this error: "Disk object invalid or unable to serialize". What is that? How can I resolve this issue?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.