How to securely wipe HD for ebay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattwolfmatt, Jan 20, 2010.

1. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Hi I just got a new computer and am selling my upgraded mac mini for parts, including the 320GB hard drive. It does have personal stuff (photos, videos, quicken, probably passwords or something). I want to sell it on ebay.

How do I format it so no one can get the info off of it? I'm a little paranoid about hackers and whatnot. What kind of weirdo would buy a used 320 laptop hard drive?

Thanks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do a 35 pass erase.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24002

and I've bought a 320gb drive to replace a failed one or to use for documents that don't take much space. Call me a weirdo if you must. :rolleyes:

3. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Thanks for the help. Sorry it was so obvious. I searched the forums and didn't find anything. I think the 7 pass will be good enough. Jeesh, I don't have 5 days to wait!

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

7 pass is good enough. The 35 pass erase is for different hard drive sector layouts (or something like that), and is not relevant for modern hard drives.

If you have a SSD, normal erasing utilities are not good enough since the SSD may have more memory than listed for wear-leveling. To erase a SSD, you should use the manufacturer's erasing utility, if available.

5. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

I wish! If it was SSD I wouldn't be selling it! Besides I don't think they make them in 320GB. If they did it would be about $1500 I think.

6. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

You could use this on it for added protection...

Attached Files:

7. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Why not just keep the 320gig drive, put it in an external case and use it for extra storage...or a cloned backup drive for emergencies. I can't imagine how much you'll get for it used these days. Anyway, just a thought. :)

8. nelsonlowe macrumors newbie

Agree. 7 pass would be fine. Don't defrag the SSD either, it will make the life of the ssd exp less.

9. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

I already have four or five of those things laying around (500GB, 1TB, 750GB) at various places (home, office, mac mini media center). None of them are close to full.

Thanks for the help.