How to see 1 screen on 2 MB Pro's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by liontamer67, Dec 30, 2012.

1. liontamer67 macrumors member

liontamer67

I am sure this has been asked somewhere else but I am not putting in the right search words I guess.
    Anyway, I have 2 macbook pro 13" laptops and both have mountain lion on them.
    :apple:1 is a early year 2011 macbook pro
    :apple:1 is a summer 2012 macbook pro

Does this come with mountain lion or is this an app I have to buy for both?

If so what app do you recommend, why and approx cost?

Thank you for taking the time to write back!

2. simsaladimbamba

In other words, you want to mirror what you see on one MBP onto the other MBP?

Can Screen Sharing help?

3. el-John-o macrumors 65816

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you want to use the other laptop as a second display for the first? iMacs can do this in 'target display mode' using thunderbolt, but I'm not aware of any ability for MacBooks to do this. However, an application called 'air display' will allow you to do just that. It's about $20, and will let you do what I think you are describing. There will be some lag, though, if possible run both machines on gigabit LAN to reduce the lag some.

4. liontamer67 thread starter macrumors member

liontamer67

No I want to put them both together...side by side...and use as one big screen. sorry i wasn't very clear about that was i?

----------

ah rats i forgot my thunderbolt at the office. i bet that is how you do it. otherwise i imagine there would be a lag. i have seen one other person do this on his desktop and laptop (both mac).

5. el-John-o, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012

el-John-o macrumors 65816

As I understand it, it ONLY works with iMac desktops. It's a hardware feature, the iMac is basically 'built in' to an Apple Cinema (or Thunderbolt) Display. Setting it in target display mode basically turns it back into a display, instead of an iMac. I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it. I don't believe the same is possible on the MacBook pro (a physical hardware connection to it's display in such a way).

On the iMac, you can plug another mac directly into it's display, bypassing the iMac hardware. With the MacBook, the display is connected only to the graphics card and there is no way to 'pass' the signal through. Think of Target Display mode almost like unplugging a monitor from a desktop computer and then plugging it into your laptop, except the 'plugging in' is done internally.

Using Air Display will do what you want though. There will be some lag, but it should handle it just fine. I use AirDisplay to use my 23" monitor as a third display, in addition to the MBP and the 27" Cinema Display, only in my case the 'host' is a Windows PC, but it can be a Mac as well. You'll boot up both machines, run the software on both, and setup one as the extended display, then it will appear as if the MBP was just a second monitor (the extended desktop you are looking for).

By the way, when using Air Display, I would recommend connecting the two macs together using an ethernet cable (it doesn't need to be a crossover cable, your MacBooks will automatically make the appropriate connections), and using air display over that network. That will yield you greater speeds and less lag than wifi. You should be able to do this whilst still using WiFi for internet and other network tasks. (or, connect them both to gigabit ethernet ports on your router, if that's a possibility)

6. Freyqq macrumors 601

synergy might be what you are looking for. You can share mouse and keyboard across computers over wifi.

http://synergy-foss.org/

7. simsaladimbamba

AirDisplay will do the job, best to use an Ethernet connection though.

8. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

9. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I bought a 23" cinema display off Craigslist for $140. Fairly cheap was to get 2 displays. Before that I was using an old LG 19" display that worked ok but nowhere as good as the ACD.