How to see all apps running

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Glennster, May 30, 2014.

1. Glennster macrumors regular

Mac OS rookie here, as if the title didn't give it away :D

How can I see all the apps currently open and running on my Macbook Air...? A buddy at work said click on Mission Control but I don't seem to have that.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Look in your dock. Anything with a white dot under it is running. Also minimised apps appear to the right of your doc. Things on the right of that line are minimised but running.

3. Glennster thread starter macrumors regular

On the far right just after the dividing line on the dock there are 3 folders: Downloads, Windows 7 Applications and Trash. Is this normal?

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes, and on the Apps running thing. Mavericks does a great job of allocating memory so even if an App is "running" it will use very little resources when it's not being used.

5. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Cmd+tab brings up the App Switcher, which is also useful for quickly seeing whats running, I find. You can quit Apps from within the Switcher too, which also helps.

6. mfram macrumors 65816

There's also a program called Activity Monitor that shows information about CPU, programs, and memory. Kinda like Task Manager on Windows. But it's not a task switcher if that's what you're looking for.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hit command-option-escape keys all three at once.

8. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

The dock is configurable to whatever you want there for the most part.
    I have the "old school" way with an Applications, Documents and Downloads folder on my dock to the right of the line.

I don't use Launchpad.

And I pull all apps off of my Dock that I don't use and replace with ones that I use regularly.
    If you have an app open and want it to stay on the dock, just right click the app icon->Options->Keep in Dock.

A big thing I had to break myself of when moving from windows is that I had to 100% close every app when I was done using it. You don't have to unless you just want to.