Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
I have my admin account and set up another account on my MBP to use for presentations...when I go to that account in Finder under Users, I can't access the files there without logging out and then logging in to that particular acct. As the admin, shouldnt I be able to access those?

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Depends how you set up sharing! Did you setup for only one account connecting or for all users using the username/password combination?

I just setup a different login for the same computer using a different account name and same password...did nothing in sharing as I assumed setting it as an admin would allow it to see anything.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I just setup a different login for the same computer using a different account name and same password...did nothing in sharing as I assumed setting it as an admin would allow it to see anything.

Nope you the sharing machine needs a account that you know and you should be able to use the username/password when connecting to the share.

Unimatrix725

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Accessing Other Users stuff

I have my admin account and set up another account on my MBP to use for presentations...when I go to that account in Finder under Users, I can't access the files there without logging out and then logging in to that particular acct. As the admin, shouldnt I be able to access those?

Go to users folder get info on the user in question. Expand the arrow at bottom (permissions) then change as needed. I would recommend read and write for group admin, then apply to enclosed folder. You may be prompted for your or an admin password. Do not change ownership unless you intend on changing it back before login. That will cause problems. A mac fan since 1992 (os 7.x) you can fidget as needed until you are able to access files & folders. You may have to close and reopen (or go back and forward) the folder for files to show up. This is the easiest way from finder and less error prone than terminal.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.