how to: see if a wireless network is password-protected?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mark2288, Jul 15, 2007.

1. mark2288 macrumors regular

hey all,
    i'm trying to join a wireless network but am unable to - i believe the network is password protected, although my cousin swears against it.

i know on windows xp you can see if a network is secure or not via the "View Available Wireless networks" option. is there any way to do that on a mac?

thanks in advance.

2. coogee macrumors regular

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

If it's password protected then it will ask you for a password. If you are getting the "Error occurred while trying to connect" then something else is just not working.

There's another way to scan wireless networks in Terminal, but its a bit more complicated.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could download istumbler and use that. But Tiger does not have that ability for the wifi menubar utility, although Leopard does, but that doesn't help you right now.

5. mark2288 thread starter macrumors regular

the networks aren't password protected. the 2 networks i see show up and then disappear again and then show up again.

may i be just in that range that i can see them but cannot join them or could there be other issues??

i was able to join one network sucessfully for 30 minutes yesterday - but am unable to today so i'm ruling out mac addressing as a possible issue.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd say that you are probably right at the edge of the wifi network where you still getna signal but you can only connect inconsistently.

7. nbusse macrumors member

nbusse

airport should show bars, indicating how strong the wifi signal is.
    even still, i know i've had cases where it looks strong but then kicks you off anyways.... nothing to be done about that!

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12