How to see inside phone files and clean up????

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by meagain, Dec 7, 2007.

1. meagain macrumors 68030

Hi. Would anyone know how I can see into my phone and be able to clean up broken files, etc? I had a problem loading an app via Installer. It seems to have only loaded the icon and a bit of the program. The program shows up in "install", not "uninstall" so I can't uninstall it. It's sort of in this limbo that I can't fix so I'd like to manually nuke it. I also want to review what I have in there with a goal being to clean any rogue files/apps up.

Perhaps there is an app for this? Or I need to do something with SSH or some Terminal type app? If anyone knows, I'd really appreciate it.

2. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

I dont think you can uninstall Installer. Thats like trying to uninstall windows, and still have windows afterwards,. To get it completely out, I would think a restore in iTunes would help. Of course then you will have to go through the jailbreak process again.

3. brando88 macrumors 6502

My interpretation of this post, is that he wants to remove a program that he used Installer.app to install. Not remove Installer.app from the phone.

In order to do this, all you have to do is install OpenSSH from the Installer.app, and login to the phone from a computer using any SFTP program over a wireless network. The username will always be "root" (without the quotations) and the password depends on the version of firmware that you have running on your device. (1.0.2 password is "dottie" 1.1.1 & 1.1.2 password is "alpine")

If you are working on an Apple, you can download AFP with Bonjour and the iPhone will pop up in the "shared" section in the file browser in a finder window. Click "Connect As", and log in with the same username and password that you would use with SSH.

Both of these allow for manual control of the root file system, and you can manually delete anything you want this way.

4. brando88 macrumors 6502

A third way is to download BSD Subsystems and Mobile Finder. This also gives you access to the root file system, directly from the phone itself.

5. meagain thread starter macrumors 68030

Brando - Yes, that is what I want to do. I think what happened was that I was on the verge of running out of space when trying to install this app and it sort of semi-installed to the point where it's not under the "uninstall" category of Installer. I'm going to try to delete some things to free up space with the thinking I can try re-installing that app again in order to clean it up? This is my theory anyway.

Failing that, I'll load Mobile Finder before trying SSH. I probably want to load that anyway. Hopefully it'll be easy to learn it and hopefully there's something that'll tell me if there's any crapola in there that I can safely clean out.
    Thank you!