How to see older mail in Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RajSihota16, Apr 12, 2013.

1. RajSihota16 macrumors newbie

My employer will be deleting my email account in a few days and I want to save everything. So I thought I would link up that account with Mail. I was hoping that once I linked it up, I could somehow save all of my e-mails after the gmail account has been deleted. First of all, is that possible? Secondly, why can I only see e-mails from 2013? Thirdly, is there a way easier way to do this? I tried a few other things but always got errors. Not sure if it matters, but the e-mail address is a @buisnessname.net type of e-mail run through Google Apps I believe.

2. T3hPreacher macrumors member

I think you'd be able to set up the account as a POP account, then download the messages to your Mail client.

To make sure it gets set up right, I'd adjust my settings in Gmail first. Under "Settings", then "Forwarding and POP/IMAP", in the POP Download section I would click the button for "Enable POP for ALL mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)". You can then use the dropdown below it to tell Gmail what to do with email that gets downloaded with POP.

Then, in Apple Mail, set up a Gmail account as a POP account (follow these directions: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20041110192454841). It should then download all of the mail to your Apple Mail client.

Hopefully you have your employer's permission to retain these emails before following these steps.

Hope this helps!