Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realchimera

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
Boston
I used to hold ctrl and select columns in Windows. How do I select 2 (multiple) columns in Excel on Mac? (Even if I run Excel in Fusion, the ctrl key still doesn't work!)

One more question... Why is my NTFS external hard drive read only? What can I do in order to make changes/copy files to my external hard drive?

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
In most cases, the CMD key does in Mac OSX what the CTRL key does in Windows. So to select more than one thing, hold down CMD (or shift).

realchimera

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
Boston
In most cases, the CMD key does in Mac OSX what the CTRL key does in Windows. So to select more than one thing, hold down CMD (or shift).

No the command key doesn't work. If you hold command, you will scroll your excel workbook
Mac is so stupid that it's trying to use command to replace ctrl to be different from windows, but it's not doing it consistently.

What is the hell is "ctrl+D", "command+delete", "fn+delete"****?
How pathetic it has so many delete combination keys, but doesn't even have a real delete key.

And it doesn't even have "page up, down" keys either. Sometime it's "fn+ up/down", but sometimes it's just up/down key. So inconsistent.... No wonder it almost got washed out.

gusmahler

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
One more question... Why is my NTFS external hard drive read only? What can I do in order to make changes/copy files to my external hard drive?
Because Mac's can't write to NTFS drives. You need to reformat it as a Mac drive if you want to write to it. If you need to use the drive on a PC also, you need to reformat it as FAT32.

----------

No the command key doesn't work. If you hold command, you will scroll your excel workbook
Mac is so stupid that it's trying to use command to replace ctrl to be different from windows, but it's not doing it consistently.
As was pointed out to you in your other thread, you got it backwards. MS copied from Apple and remapped Cmd to Ctrl because PC keyboards don't have a cmd key.

FTR, the first Mac OS was released in January 1984 and the first version of Windows was released 20 months later, in November 1985.

If you hate the Mac so much, I suggest you sell it. It's probably fairly new and you'll get a lot of your money back. It'll save you the trouble of going to a Mac forum and bashing Mac products.

Last edited:

realchimera

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
Boston
Because Mac's can't write to NTFS drives. You need to reformat it as a Mac drive if you want to write to it. If you need to use the drive on a PC also, you need to reformat it as FAT32.

If you reformat the external hard drive to FAT32, does it still compatible with PC windows?

I thought FAT32 is the way old file system, it still uses 32kb hdd cluster, and it doesn't support large files or hard drives...

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
First, there's no need to hold the command key while you move your mouse, but if you select one column, then command-click to select the other column, it does indeed select them both.

Secondly, you can simply install NTFS-3G on your computer in order to enable write capabilities to NTFS drives, and not have to use the outdated FAT32 file system.

jW

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
If you reformat the external hard drive to FAT32, does it still compatible with PC windows?

I thought FAT32 is the way old file system, it still uses 32kb hdd cluster, and it doesn't support large files or hard drives...

FAT32 works for both Mac and Windows, only limitation is a 4gb file size.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
If you have Windows 7 and Snow Leopard up to date, you can format as ExFAT and have a dual-compatible file system with no storage limitation.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I used to hold ctrl and select columns in Windows. How do I select 2 (multiple) columns in Excel on Mac? (Even if I run Excel in Fusion, the ctrl key still doesn't work!)
Hold the Command key and click on the column headings that you want to select.

• Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
    [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB
NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)(may not work with Lion)
  • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
  • Many have had good results with Paragon (approx $20) (works with Lion)
  • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended)
  • Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
  • Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! backups of Mac internal hard drive.
    [*]To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
    [*]To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
  • Maximum file size: 8EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 8EiB
exFAT (FAT64)
  • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
  • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
  • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
  • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB

realchimera

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
Boston
Snow Leopard is version 10.6.8

Lion is version 10.7.1

If you bought your Mac new fairly recently, it probably has Lion.

Follow these instructions to find out what version you have:

http://www.apple.com/support/mobileme/en/os_version.html

Cool Thanks!

A few more questions:

1) What's the best/good program to r/w NTFS hard drive? Is it Paragon?

2) Is there a hotkey to close a window/program, like alt+F4 in windows?

3) How do you maximize a window other than clicking that tiny little green+ icon?

gusmahler

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
Cool Thanks!

A few more questions:

3) How do you maximize a window other than clicking that tiny little green+ icon?
1) Don't know

2) Cmd-Q

3) click and drag the bottom right corner to resize. But hitting the green button is faster.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Did you see my earlier post with the information on the various formats and how to read/write to them? That answers your question.
To close a window, use Command-W. (That doesn't quit multi-window apps)
To quit an app, use Command-Q.
Windows don't maximize on Mac the way they do on Windows. The green button won't make the app fill the screen. It resizes the window to accommodate its contents. Lion has introduced full screen capabilities, but it's still not exactly the same as Windows.
That's not true. Macs can write to NTFS using one of several methods described in my earlier post. Reformatting to FAT32 is not necessary.

realchimera

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
Boston
Did you see my earlier post with the information on the various formats and how to read/write to them? That answers your question.

To close a window, use Command-W. (That doesn't quit multi-window apps)
To quit an app, use Command-Q.

Windows don't maximize on Mac the way they do on Windows. The green button won't make the app fill the screen. It resizes the window to accommodate its contents. Lion has introduced full screen capabilities, but it's still not exactly the same as Windows.

That's not true. Macs can write to NTFS using one of several methods described in my earlier post. Reformatting to FAT32 is not necessary.

Paragon NTFS is awesome, so are you guys. One more question, is there a program that can let me customize the keyboard and create my own hotkeys?

Wilboy69

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2017

I know this is an old thread, but I thought it might help if someone arrives here instead;

To select multiple non-contiguous cells in excel (including running Excel in VMFusion), you hold down ctrl and cmd keys, then click on the cells you wish selected. Continue to select any cells you wish to your hearts content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.