How to select text with 3D Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dojoman, Oct 2, 2015.

1. dojoman macrumors 65816

Does anyone how he was able to select the text by using 3D touch? I know how to move the cursor but wasn't able to select the text. Video is below and it happens around 1:23 mark.

2. mlsusa macrumors regular

Good question. Pressing harder didn't do the trick.

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

You have to do a quick double-tap whilst in cursor mode and without releasing your thumb/finger.

4. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

I was able to recreate that fairly easily.

1. Engage the keyboard trackpad by pressing firmly on keyboard
    2. drag the cursor along to the word you want to select
    3. Keep you finger on the screen, but make sure you're pressing lightly
    4. Begin to press firmly twice or three times without lifting finger off screen
    5. Word highlights / sentance highlights

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Hmm keep trying to figure it out but can't get it to work.

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Initiate trackpad: Quick firm press followed by continuing to lightly rest thumb on display. Move thumb around to position cursor.

Initiate select mode: With your thumb still touching the display, give a quick stab of firmer pressure then let off (but don't lift thumb off of display). Move around to select. If you change your mind, a quick stab of pressure will toggle the select mode off.

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It's hardly Apple's usual simplicity in action is it. I imagine that the vast majority of iPhone users will never master it.

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

From Apple:

Turn your keyboard into a trackpad. On iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, press the keyboard until it turns light gray. Move the cursor by dragging around the keyboard. Without lifting your finger, press a little deeper to select a word. Press twice to select a sentence. Press three times to select a paragraph. After pressing, you can drag to select more text.

9. mlsusa macrumors regular

Will take some time to master. It's tricky to lighten the pressure enough to not lose trackpad mode and then reapplying the pressure to select the text.

10. dojoman thread starter macrumors 65816

Finally got it to work. After pressing hard to get into cursor mode lift the pressure off while still touching the screen and then press hard again it will select the whole word or keep dragging to select more words. That was so hard to execute.

11. stevemiller macrumors 65816

so they killed the crazy simple and fast 2-finger tap text to select a paragraph thats been in iOS for ages on ALL devices to try to upsell 3d touch on ONE device which sounds more difficult to execute anyway? awesome.

12. nrvna76 macrumors 6502

You can still tap to select a word or text. And the 3D Touch option isn't that difficult. It's just not intuitive to release the pressure initially after activating the trackpad.

13. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Release a bit after moving the cursor to the right place but do not release your finger. And then press on it again.

14. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I also find that it only works with my thumb and if I'm holding the phone. If I have the phone on a work surface and try to engage the cursor with my finger, nothing happens.

15. Boardiesboi macrumors 6502

Is this active in all keyboards in all apps? I find that it works in Apple stock apps and safari but hit and miss in third party apps

16. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

At the present time it is only in Apple stock apps. I expect it to become available in other apps as they are upgraded.