How to sell a CDMA phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Amnak, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Amnak macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

So now that iPhone is on Verizon , (I currently own a Viphone) when ip5 comes around how do I sell it? I just bought it on contract and I love it, but if the new iPhone has some erasistable feature let's face it I'll want it. Any droid owners know how to do this? Does the phone need to be deactivated by Verizon? And do you sell the phone for almost retail price in which case I gain money?
    Thanks in advanced might as well figure this out now instead of later when I'm in a mad dash to sell it ! :)

2. suMMx macrumors regular

I think once you activate a new phone, your current phone will be deactivated and ready to sell after you clear your personal data off.

3. soldierblue macrumors 6502

That's absolutely correct.

4. mrbrown macrumors 6502

Additionally, make sure your account with Verizon is current before listing your phone for sale. If it isn't, the person who buys your phone will have to pay any past due balance you have on your account to activate it, since the phone's ESN will be linked to your account.

The buyer certainly wouldn't like this... lol

5. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

O wow that would suck, I realized this when I couldn't upgrade Verizon's website said pay your bill!

Any suggestions on best places to sell it?

6. Donny Jepp macrumors member

You won't be making any money. If you deactivate your account, you will pay an early termination fee.

7. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

That's not true at all. That would only apply if you're getting rid of Verizon, and sell your phone. The OP is talking about changing to the IP5 on Verizon. If you're canceling your account you'd need to make sure it's paid in full, etc, and has completed the process before getting rid of the account because if the account is any type of suspended state (failure to pay, etc) the account is still technically "active" so the ESN will still be bound to it. Once it's fully canceled you can do whatever.

In the OP's question the first response is right. Once you change phones the MEID will be released entirely. So just perform a full system wipe, and sell it. The other person can simply give Verizon the MEID (or go to their site and activate it online) and go through the usual programming steps like you first did. Since you're planning on upgrading, since Verizon is most likely going to get it at the same time as ATT, you don't need to do anything else.

8. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I assume if I just switch it back to my old phone I'm not canceling I'm still tied to the 2year contract
    Cool this sounds like it's going to work! Any experience on selling a phone on eBay? I tried selling my iPod but I think I almost got cond so I opted for amazon there was a fee buti felt good about it.

9. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Make sure your a verified Paypal account, etc, because then you have Buyer Protection options.

I just sold my old XB360 through Ebay a few weeks ago and it went through fine (220+), and I was eligible for Seller Protection so had they had an issue I was good regardless as long as I followed the shipping rules.

Otherwise you can sell it on Craigslist, etc, probably for a solid amount.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally I would avoid ebay, due to the fees, and scammers.
    With Craigslist you execute the sale face to face, and use cash. The person can examine the phone in person and hand over the $$.

11. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

what do you mean by verified paypal account because i do have a paypal account, the person who purchased my ipod wanted it sent to like africa i smelled trouble.
    will someone actually buy it for 500$ face to face? Thats what people are selling them on amazon for although there is a fee I think of like 8 to 15% i need to check

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I sold a 3GS for $300 in cash last year to someone I found on Craigslist, so, probably!

13. Pomeless macrumors regular

And actually I believe your 2 year contract is re-upped at that point. I'm not 100% it could just be if you make changes to your service plan.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

No, switching to another phone that you own, does not re-up the contract.

Neither does making changes to your service plan.

You can do either one all you want.

15. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

You're probably best of selling your phone on Craigslist. I've sold all my smartphones through Craigslist, my original, my 3G, and I sold my Droid X to someone on CL right before iPhone 4 came out.