How to sell a PowerBook/Macbook Pro prototype

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by jpo287, Nov 3, 2009.

1. jpo287 macrumors member

I have a Macbook Pro prototype labeled as a Powerbook that I am interested in selling. I wanted to list it on ebay but know that Apple is quick to pull any ad of a prototype. So I contacted them and while they said they wouldn't pursue getting it back, they would prefer I not list it on ebay. So I am curious if there are other places I might could list it besides Craigslist.

For a history of the laptop, just do a search on jpo287.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

If you are looking for maximum money I would still put it up on ebay. If it gets taken down oh well. Its not like apple is going to send a squad out to get it.

But ebay is your best bet as more people are going to see it and bid on it.

Or you could just put it in the classifieds here or on other apple forums.

Anyway good luck its a really neat item!

3. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

Honestly, (from closely following your last thread) I don't think it would be worth too much more then a MBP from that time. Although, there might be some crazy proto-collectors lurking.

4. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

What are you hoping to get for it, out of curiosity? (or perhaps a bit more)

5. jpo287 thread starter macrumors member

The only problem with that is ebay with mark my account "out of compliance" for a year if that happens and I would rather not have that happen.

Where are the classifieds here? Stupid question I know but I don't see the link anywhere.

6. jpo287 thread starter macrumors member

Well I don't think it's worth a fortune but I do think that given it is fully functional ( I just installed Snow Leopard and it runs great ) I do think it is worth a little more than a normal MBP. After all, it is the only one that I know of so that "uniqueness" should be worth something - or at least it is to me.

7. jpo287 thread starter macrumors member

I am hoping to get $1200. That is about a third more than what a nice, normal MBP is worth.

8. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I am dying to get my hands on a Clear case prototype Macintosh Portable. There is actually one on eBay right now but it's got alot of damage to the surface plastics (some of the right case plastics are missing), it has stress fractures, the handle is broken, and the machine will NOT boot.

I'm hoping to get a 100% intact clean working model for my collection, but I doubt I will ever find one, they are really rare.

This guy is asking like $5,750 for this junky condition unit, and he started the bid at $500 but I bet there is a hefty reserve price. I just don't think it's worth bidding on one of this condition.

9. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

You need to have been here for a certain amount of time, and have a certain amount of posts, if someone can confirm with what the requirements are, then that would be great.

10. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

11. jpo287 thread starter macrumors member

Well I have the 6 month part but I am a little lacking in the posts:( I certainly understand the rules though. Thanks for the info.

12. pcb macrumors member

pcb

Would you care to post pics of this machine so that we can all get a look at it.

13. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

14. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Best thing to do is... Put it in a box and send it to me! :D

15. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

See my signature. :D

Post count +1

16. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

17. ListedFirst.com macrumors newbie

Still have it? Still interested in selling it? Contact me.