How to sell AT&T phone?

iphonemonstah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
I placed an order for 2 phones through AT&T, one for myself and one to potentially sell. What are the steps necessary to make sure the phone isn't tied to my account anymore if I did sell since I had to use an existing phone number on my account to preorder the phone? I know you can remove the SIM but I've read that AT&T phones come locked so what are the steps to unlock the phone?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Google unlock ATT iPhone. It will take you to a link to log into your ATT account. Then enter in your phone number and IMEI. From there I think it takes them 48 hours to unlock. They will send you an email when it's complete. That will unlock your phone. Just remove the SIM AFTER it's unlocked and you are good to go.

Reactions: iphonemonstah

Moi Ici

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
I placed an order for 2 phones through AT&T, one for myself and one to potentially sell. What are the steps necessary to make sure the phone isn't tied to my account anymore if I did sell since I had to use an existing phone number on my account to preorder the phone? I know you can remove the SIM but I've read that AT&T phones come locked so what are the steps to unlock the phone?
If you paid outright, you’ll own the phone and be allowed to unlock it (which it will be) but you must request an unlock for the phone online with the imei from,that phone. Then wait for att to unlock. It can take a few days sometimes.

iphonemonstah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
Ok. One phone i ordered using my iPad service phone number and according to my AT&T plan it shows 'no-commitment'. Does that mean it might come fully unlocked? The other phone shows as an 'upgrade'. Just curious.
[doublepost=1509553431][/doublepost]
Doesnt the phone have to be fully paid off to unlock?

The OP didn’t state if he paid full price or is “upgrading” a line on NEXT.
Preordered at MSRP. Some phones are marked as an upgrade but I'm paying full price so I'm not sure what that means on AT&T's part.

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
Since they are coming from At&t, they are locked to At&t. So you need to request an unlock from them, which should be no problem as they are paid in full. Just takes a few days to go through.

snow755

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2012
Ok. One phone i ordered using my iPad service phone number and according to my AT&T plan it shows 'no-commitment'. Does that mean it might come fully unlocked? The other phone shows as an 'upgrade'. Just curious.
Preordered at MSRP. Some phones are marked as an upgrade but I'm paying full price so I'm not sure what that means on AT&T's part.

he means that if you are doing a phone payment plan like $30.50 a moth

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Gotcha.

Surprised that the iPad line let you upgrade to a phone. I have a 9.7 Pro line and I don’t think an iPhone will do a voice call on the iPad line if I switch SIMs.

The phone should be locked at reception.

iphonemonstah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
Gotcha.

Surprised that the iPad line let you upgrade to a phone. I have a 9.7 Pro line and I don’t think an iPhone will do a voice call on the iPad line if I switch SIMs.

The phone should be locked at reception.
Yeah it gave me no issues. I had to add a line to my plan so I'm effectively paying $15 extra a month but I was already paying that amount to have the iPad line on my account so it works out to the same thing. I'll just switch the line back to my iPad once I sell.
[doublepost=1509553852][/doublepost]Also how do I disable email alerts for each new post on this thread?

Reactions: Steve686

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
Yeah it gave me no issues. I had to add a line to my plan so I'm effectively paying $15 extra a month but I was already paying that amount to have the iPad line on my account so it works out to the same thing. I'll just switch the line back to my iPad once I sell.
[doublepost=1509553852][/doublepost]Also how do I disable email alerts for each new post on this thread?
Maybe the “unwatch thread” top right of the thread to disable.

iphonemonstah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
Unlocked phones will command a better price if the seller wishes to make a profit.
Doesn't it have to be unlocked anyway for a new person to purchase the phone? Like if I were to sell locked the next person would have to have AT&T but would they not later be able to unlock themselves?

unitedbit

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017
Unlocked phones will command a better price if the seller wishes to make a profit.
Doesn’t HAVE to be unlocked. Just makes it easier to sell. Having said that, you’ll have no problem since the X is brand new and in short supply.

I can’t remember if original purchaser has to be the one to unlock it.
Can OP simply not touch the phone once he gets it and resell it (no unlocking, taking the sim out, etc.)? Without his att account info the new buyer can't do anything related to his account correct? The sim will be worthless to them and they will have to provide their own?

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
Of
Can OP simply not touch the phone once he gets it and resell it (no unlocking, taking the sim out, etc.)? Without his att account info the new buyer can't do anything related to his account correct? The sim will be worthless to them and they will have to provide their own?
Of course he can.

I never said otherwise.

I’ve sold 6 iPhones on eBay. The first question in every sale is, “is it unlocked?”

unitedbit

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017
Of

Of course he can.

I never said otherwise.

I’ve sold 6 iPhones on eBay. The first question in every sale is, “is it unlocked?”
But from what I've been reading if he sells the phone NIB without removing the sim when the buyer turns the phone on they now have OP's phone number? I didn't think that was the case but I've seen that mentioned in other threads.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
But from what I've been reading if he sells the phone NIB without removing the sim when the buyer turns the phone on they now have OP's phone number? I didn't think that was the case but I've seen that mentioned in other threads.
Personally, I would remove it.

Most people that buy the phone would remove the SIM themselves and put their own in that is associated with their account.

Either way, the seller can deactivate the SIM if it does get activated.

iphonemonstah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
So it makes more sense to just take a day or two to unlock it to be sure I can get top dollar.

snow755

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2012
and when you are ready too sell sell it on swappa dont ever sell any thing on ebay