iPad mini How to sell iPad Mini with Apple's location services turned on

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 1rottenapple, Nov 27, 2013.

1. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

So I'm selling my mini... What are the steps to removing the iTunes lock AFTER the buyer gives me the money when I meet him at a Starbucks. What's the sequence of logging in and logging off? Can I go on find my iPhone to erase it, and remove the passcode lock?

2. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

If it were me, I would erase and restore your iPad on iTunes before meeting the buyer. I don't know if remote erasing it would lock the buyer out of the iPad afterwards (new iOS 7 anti-theft feature).

3. 1rottenapple thread starter macrumors 65816

Is there a way to remove the iTunes lock on site after the transaction?

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes. Turn off Find my iPad in Settings, then do a Erase all Content and Settings.

5. katmeef macrumors 6502

Turn off find my iPad from the iCloud settings menu then reset all content and settings

6. 1rottenapple thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! My nightmare is selling it, dude runs always with the iPad without paying me lol. Well that's my over active imagination. Love this extra security features.

7. ZipZap macrumors 603

Turn off the find my iPad.
    Log out of iTunes.
    Remove device from your account.
    Delete the backup on iCloud.
    Do the full erase and this will restore IOS and set it back to factory start.
    Remove the sim...if you have one (though this does not really matter if the sim has been deactivated).
    Wipe down really well.

If you're not selling with the Applecare, the email apple for a refund of the unused amount.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You don't want to delete the backup if you plan to restore it to another iPad in the future! Also, is logging out of iTunes necessary if you do an Erase All Contents and Settings? And while I guess you will want to delete the device from your account at some point, it's not necessary to do that before the point of sale.

9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Meet inside a Best Buy, bank, etc lots of places where you can find staffed doors and/or cameras

10. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I always meet in coffee shops or libraries. There are always people around, and I haven't had an issue.

But yeah, you just have to log out of Find my iPhone/iPad.

11. 1rottenapple thread starter macrumors 65816

Yah always Starbucks just cause they are everywhere I'm the USA.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Meet at the local courthouse, after the security check. Unlikely anyone who tries to run out of the building with you shouting after them is going to get very far... :)

13. ZipZap macrumors 603

I never restore a backup from an old device to a new one. Apple has never perfected this process and it always leads to issues and a restore.

14. phphreak macrumors member

I recently sold an iPhone 4 and an iPad 3. I turned off Find My Phone/iPad etc, and did a factory erase all content and settings from the devices.

The iPhone 4 still shows up in the Apple Maps "send to" dialogue on my iMac.

Both the iPad 3 and the iPhone 4 still show up under Find my Friends under "share my location from" on my new iPhone 5s and iPad Mini Retina.

I have removed all these sold devices from my apple support id, logged out of iCloud etc., but they still show up in these instances.

It's a pain in the rear.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

On the iPad, you can delete those devices by swiping to the left. I imagine there's a way to delete them from a Mac as well.

16. phphreak macrumors member

I can't believe I didn't try to swipe them away, but that worked. Thanks.

My iPhone 4 still shows up on the mac however.

17. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

I can see the headlines now. "3 shot, 2 killed when ipad deal goes awry at the county courthouse."

18. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Almost cried reading this :D:D:D