How to sell iPhone 2G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by midniteriver, Jul 19, 2009.

1. midniteriver macrumors newbie

I am thinking of selling my original iPhone since I have a 3GS now. My original JUST got replaced from Apple, so it is new and has a 90 day warranty. Furthermore, as you know, the original iPhone had a cheaper data plan, so I feel I could get more buyers that way. Does anyone know if AT&T would require my iPhone buyer to sign a new contract, or could that be another selling point? Finally, would I include my old SIM card or does AT&T give people their own when they sign up?

Thanks in advance! Also, if anyone has any idea how much I should expect, that would be great!

2. iSwitchd macrumors member

People that buy older/used iPhones fall into 2 categories.

1) They are buying it to unlock it or jailbreak it, and take it to another carrier (So to answer one of your questions... no, AT&T will not make them sign a contract.)

2) They are not eligible for a phone upgrade price, or do not wish to extend their current AT&T contract. You would not include your SIM, because they will just pop their current SIM into the iPhone and viola!

I just sold my banged up 2g for $150 bucks. Also if I may add, sell your phone locally on Craigslist. Ebay is full of scammers, fees, and shipping hassles. I ALWAYS sell locally. Meet up at a safe public place, and make a CASH ONLY transaction. Plus, craigslist is free and will be sold VERY quickly.

I had my iPhone listed for 12 hours and had over a dozen calls on it. I could have probably sold it for more.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

QFT. Definitely use Craigslist unless you just want a lot of headaches on eBay.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I've found eBay to be quite useful in selling my stuff, including my 2G iPhone. I use PayPal only, ship UPS, and have had no hassles in ten years.

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

PayPal will freeze your funds till they are able to confirm that the buyer received the iPhone. This could be a few weeks if it takes that long. They did that with every iPhone I have ever sold because they are a high risk item.

6. Lord Egregious macrumors member

Maybe its because I live in a less populated city area but Craigslist is nothing but trouble for me. Everytime I list anything I get ridiculous messages trying to get to sell at 1/4 of the price or everyone wants me to ship it somewhere.

7. QuadCoreDad macrumors member

eBay? Auction? Tried these yet? Can fetch quite high prices..;)

8. midniteriver thread starter macrumors newbie

Or people who want a cheaper data plan?

So, in general, AT&T does NOT require you to sign a new 2-year contract?

9. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

If you activate the 2G via iTunes, yes, you will need to agree to a new two year contract. If you use a sim from another phone in the 2G, the phone will be fine using that sim.

I have a AT&T GoPhone sim in my 2G and it works perfectly. I had to unlock the phone to use the sim. The same sim will work in my 3G and 3G S iPhones without unlocking.

10. Lakerfan210 macrumors regular

I doubt that activating it through iTunes is going to give you a two year contract. iTunes ain't AT&T. Yes AT&T does show up on iTunes when activating but it just tells you about the required data plan and that's about it. I activated two 2g like 5 months ago and my contract wasn't renewed so I upgraded two of my lines to the 3gs

Even on craigslist set requirements. You won't believe how many scammers you also can find on CL. Here's an example of a respond I got from a seller of a 3gs
    Thank you for contacting me about the phone I have posted for sale on Craigslist.
    I am located out of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.* I sell over 350+ phones a month on craigslist to people all over the United States.* Every one of my phones is the real authentic phone which is listed on the post.* I do not sell clones or fakes.* I sell the iPhone, Blackberrys, and many more.
    At the present time I am only taking payment by Money Gram and Western Union.* In most cases I can have phone to you the following day as long as payment is made before the last shipment is dropped off.* I am willing to do my best to work with you to make this a pleasurable deal and to assist you in anyway that I can.
    If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask me.
    Thanks,

I deleted the name of this seller. He might be legit beign in the states but he might be a scammer because you have no protection using money gram or western union. Just be careful when selling or buying on CL

11. christyn macrumors 6502a

definitely won't need a contract..
    ebay is best imo.

I tried CL for my 3g's but got nothing but scammers, some areas CL does really well for iPhones. Mine however does not, and ebay sells for a lot more.

I would expect maybe $150 - $200 tops.