How to sell iPhone 4S bought from ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RBilRamZ, Oct 19, 2011.

1. RBilRamZ macrumors member

Hey everyone, if I buy a 4S from ATT, how can I wipe my info & account information from it and sell it? If I activate it on my account, then do a restore and not sync it with my info, then remove the SIM, then I should be able to sell it to anyone that wants the phone without extending their contract, right? Is there anything else that I would need to (or should) do? Does that make it an unlocked GSM phone?

2. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I usually restore, set up as new phone and put the buyers name in it and not sync anything. Then remove the sim. Can I ask why would you do such a thing to a 4s?:confused:

3. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

if you activate it on AT&T account , its locked now and no way to get it unlocked.

4. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

chinatown in nyc sells the unlocked 16GB AT&T 4S for $750. They use a gevey sim

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, if its an AT&T iphone and unless you paid full price for it at $649 then its not unlocked. Its locked to AT&T.
    All you have to do in order to sell it is restore it and setup as new.
    Take out your sim and that's it.

Gevey doesnt work for the 4S.
    Maybe they're selling iphone 4 models unlocked using gevey.

It has nothing to do with activating it on an AT&T account.
    Only unlocked iphone's in the US are the ones bought full price.
    If he got it subsidized by AT&T for $199 its locked to AT&T and even if he didnt activate it yet it would still only work with AT&T sims.

6. oshia86 macrumors regular

7. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Don't know how they get it to work but many phone stores here in chinatown are selling the models using some sort of method to unlock it. The tech guy from a store tried a gevey on my verizon and it didn't work but it worked fine for an AT&T model. I was at a store and they were selling iPhone 4S on tmobile to customers for $750 without contract and $500 on tmobile contract. Wouldn't make sense to sell a iPhone 4 16GB for $750, people can just go to the apple store to get one cheaper.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I would be very cautious buying anything like that in Chinatown.
    I know for a fact that Gevey or nothing else at the moment unlocks an iphone 4S.

9. RBilRamZ thread starter macrumors member

UPS, no.

Ha, that's actually pretty crazy. Long interesting story, but I was able to get an upgrade-priced iPhone 4S without using my ATT upgrade. I figure I can get another 4S using the upgrade, and seel the other one for enough $ to cover the cost of both phones.

I just need to figure out the bast way to do it. Sounds like I can clear my info from the phone no problem, but it will be locked to ATT since it's been activated through them.