How to sell mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stickyfingers85, Oct 29, 2012.

1. stickyfingers85 macrumors regular

Morning

I'm planning on selling my 2009 mbp but not sure what OS i should put on it

Currently i'm running Mountain Lion, which was purchased from the app store, and the only CD OS I have is Snow Leopard.

Should I wipe the drive and install ML or go back to SL for selling the laptop? I wasn't sure if ML is tied to my account?

Any suggestion on other things to do to prepare the laptop for sale?

THank in advance

2. the7th1 macrumors member

I am actually in the same situation, so I would like to know the answer to this. I have a MBP 15", early 2008. I have already cleaned it as much as possible, but I am not sure about the hidden files... A new owner with harmful intensions might find something, so how to completely clean it (restore factory settings?)?

The thing is, when you have upgraded your OSX software mutiple times over the years, it is not that easy to completely wipe the hard drive, or?

Thanks in advance!

3. Melons macrumors member

I did this just a few days ago on my 2009 mbp. I downloaded my ML, put it on a usb stick, wiped my 128gb SSD and installed a fresh ML on it. When you wipe it, reboot and hold the Command key, use the disk utilty to wipe it.

4. stickyfingers85 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but i'm sure i read somewhere that when you download and install ML is tied to your Apple Account. SO when the new owner logs into it with their Apple Account it will see they dont have ML assigned and ask them to purchase it

Which is why i thought i would have to install SL, and then the new owner could upgrade to ML if they wanted to

5. cdembek macrumors regular

Did you end up selling yours, if so how much were you able to get?

6. Melons macrumors member

I only think the problem will occur if he wants to reinstall using the internet recovery, then she has to sign in to my itunes. Maybe i did the wrong thing, but i couldnt care less since im not using that OS X on any other machine, so in that sense, the licence is transfered.

Not sure if the guy above me is asking me, but for my entry MBP 13" i got around 600$ if i translate it into dollars. I added a 128 ssd, 8gb ram, new battery and a new charger, so it wasnt the same as when i bought it.

7. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Correct. You are only permitted to sell the MacBook with the original OS.
    ML is licensed to you and is not transferable. At the price of the upgrade, it really should be a non-issue.

IMO, wipe and reinstall the OS. After first boot, shut it down so the new user performs all the initial configuration as he/she would with a brand new Mac. Just be sure to include the discs in the packaging.

8. the7th1 macrumors member

So, if you do NOT have a disk (as a Mac do not come with a disc as far as I remember) you cannot re-install the OS? I may have a SnowLeopard CD that I bought later on, but I do not recall having ever seen a disc when I got my MBP... hmm...

9. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Prior to 2011 and the release of OS X Lion, I'm fairly certain MacBook Pro's shipped with install media. You stated you are selling a 2009 model.

10. stickyfingers85 thread starter macrumors regular

I got mine in 2009 (mid) and it came with leopard CD. When i upgraded to SL i purchased a CD as there was no such thing as Apple App store then for the mac

You must have a CD somewhere

11. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Do this with at least a 1-pass secure erase.

12. cdembek macrumors regular