How to sell online

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nickarmadillo, Jun 8, 2010.

1. nickarmadillo macrumors regular

Ok, so I've secured a rather good deal on computer parts and am now looking to sell the items for a small profit. I've also had several individuals from another web form approach me and state their interest in my wares. However, I have never made an online transaction without an intermediary (ebay, amazon, etc.). How is this done? I would use Ebay, but the fees would eat into my margins far too much. I would assume that I could perform the transaction over Paypal, but what is the protocol? (eg. Do I wait for them to send the money to my Paypal account and then send the item, or is it the other way around?, etc). Thanks for the help.

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

In short, use PayPal and wait until the money is in your account and then send the item. Place the money in your bank account and you're good to go.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Not necessarily. The buyer can still file claims against PayPal, or it could be a stolen PayPal account or credit card. And PayPal almost always sides with the buyer. It's happened to me twice. That's why I no longer bother selling things on eBay, I prefer to stick to forums such as MR where I'm less likely to have any problems, even with PayPal. You can be fairly certain that anyone eligible for the marketplace here is legit.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I agree. And I was thinking about that while typing it out. However, I find PayPal about the easiest way to do transactions over the internet, granted I have only done a few sales via the Marketplace so I'm no expert.

5. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

OK, thanks for the assistance. I think I'll give Craigslist a try. I tend to trust cash far more than I do online transactions.

You all missed out on this sale. Dell Small Business had video cards 30% off the other day. I managed to get 3 GTX 480s for $380 apiece and a 5870 for $320. I'm pretty sure this was a pricing mistake, so I'm glad I bit when I did.