Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elisamal428

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
Houston, Texas
I bought a Surface Pro 3 a couple months ago and now am wanting to sell it. My employer decided to give us all Windows laptops to use and so now I don't really have any need for the surface pro 3. I have a macbook pro as well and honestly I much prefer that anyway for personal use.
So I am looking to sell the surface pro 3 but not sure about the best way to go about it. I think Craigslist is probably the best way but not sure about selling something that expensive on Craigslist. I have never used eBay before and would be incredibly nervous shipping it to someone after some of the horror stories I have read about online.
Any advice or alternate solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Use the marketplace within this forum.

Also,eBay is a great option if you are smart and use PayPal.

Craigslist is great if you make sure to ask for cash and meet within a store or parking lot that is safe :)

Also try windows phone central. They have a great marketplace as well and will probably sell fast there. Bd thing about that is you need a 50 post minimum to sell there I believe.

You have great options especially for such a cool device.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Swappa has been very good to me. You may not get quite as much as Craigslist but you don't have to worry about being mugged, lowballed, or have to worry about where to meet and find the time to do it. Well worth the slightly reduced resale values.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
I used ebay for a long while, but there are other ways to sell it that save you from having to put up with those insane prices...

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I have never used eBay before and would be incredibly nervous shipping it to someone after some of the horror stories I have read about online.

If you ship through eBay, you will get a tracking number for the package and that GREATLY reduces the buyers ability to claim they never received the package.

The downside to eBay is the 10% or 12% you loose between eBay and Paypal taking their "fair share". But you can build it in to the price.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I bought a Surface Pro 3 a couple months ago and now am wanting to sell it. My employer decided to give us all Windows laptops to use and so now I don't really have any need for the surface pro 3. I have a macbook pro as well and honestly I much prefer that anyway for personal use.
So I am looking to sell the surface pro 3 but not sure about the best way to go about it. I think Craigslist is probably the best way but not sure about selling something that expensive on Craigslist. I have never used eBay before and would be incredibly nervous shipping it to someone after some of the horror stories I have read about online.
Any advice or alternate solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Ebay is not for a seller. If the buyer complains anything, they favor the buyer always. There are many stories on net "why im not selling in ebay anymore". Skip it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.