All iPads How to sell your Ipad on ebay

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lamarak, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Lamarak macrumors 6502

I have sold a few iphones and Ipads on ebay and had one try to scam me but due to way of shipping I won the day with paypal, Heres what I did.

First off this really only works with shipping in US, maybe Canada. I used UPS for the shipping. First thing, is I paid to have UPS package the item itself. I had them write the serial number or imei if was there on the receipt so it was on their copy too. I then had them email me the receipt with the number to my email. And of course did signature confirmation.

I before taking the item, made sure I took pictures of the item to show its condition and the number recorded on the screen. I then emailed them to my ebay account. Its also smart to have the person who packed it right their name on the receipt.

The buyer tried saying I sent them a non working Iphone and said was shipping it back. They mailed back the package USPS. I took the package to UPS and had them open it and of course the package had junk in it to give it some weight. This was a ruse to try show paypal that they sent it back.

I called paypal, showed all my proof, they did an investigation and in a few days, I was able to keep my money.

Now mind you, this may sound like a lot of steps but in reality the steps are quick and painless. Trick is to make sure go into UPS or FEDX when not busy so they will take time help you if you nicely ask and explain why. It costs about 10 extra to have the package it but it really makes a difference when dealing with paypal.

Craigslist is prolly quicker, but at least in my area, just to many scammers and low ballers. Also a caveat if show buyer how careful you are and steps are taking, they might even cancel the sale. Had that happen once.

If took time to read this, hope helped a bit.. Thanks

2. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I've thought about selling my iPad 4 to get a 5 depending on what kind of an upgrade it is. I don't think I'd trust eBay. There are good people there but also a lot that try to scam you. I've experienced that a few times. One bought a toner that was new in it's sealed box. They never contacted me but filed a dispute saying I sold them a used one. I had pictures of the sealed box but eBay didn't care. Sided with the buyer and I got a used toner back.

You posted some good steps though.

3. susa macrumors regular

thanks so much Lamarak. Timely info I never thought of - too trusting and gullible. I'm thinking of selling my mini in anticipation of the iPad 5. (Just have to figure out first how to be sure to save some apps including their data, esp. my password storage app).

4. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I do what the OP states but add a quick email to the buyer stating "to protect your interests, and mine..." bullet pointing out the things I am doing.

This alone prevents the casual opportunist from victimizing you.

5. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

also to note. usually the ones that pull this kind of stuff have very low feedback. What I usually do is say "no low feedback bidders" and state in the auction if a low feedback bidder wins, his bid will be revoked and the item will be relisted or second chanced.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What are you trying to figure out? I'd think all you had to do was backup to iCloud or to iTunes (if using iTunes, make sure to also transfer purchases), then restore to your new iPad.

7. Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

They e-mailed you a receipt with the number that was hand-written on it? or something else?
    Which "number recorded on the screen" are you referring to? What does emailing the pictures to your ebay account accomplish?

Also, how do you feel about 0 feedback buyers? Paypal even says the person who bought my iPad is "unregistered" but it did provide a Confirmed Seller Protection address to ship it to. Should I be concerned or no? The address is in the United States.

8. Tony78228 macrumors regular

Tony78228

that's what I did. I also had very detailed rules on how this package would be sent, and that I expected payment up to 24 hours of auction's end.

9. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I was thinking about this today. If I end up getting a new iPad and seeing my current one, I'm going to list it on Facebook first. I'll feel much more secure selling it to a friend and I'm sure they will feel better buying it from someone they know. I'm going to use eBay to get a feel for what they are going for when that time comes.

10. iSIILENT macrumors regular

This .. Same thing I do