Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

If you have an iPhone X, you're probably well aware of the Animoji feature within the Messages app, which is designed to let you send cute little animated videos of emoji animals that adopt your facial expressions and voice.

What you might not have known, though, is that Animoji can also be used as simple stickers. You can send a still Animoji image in Messages as a reaction, or use it like other iMessage stickers.

Sending a Still Animoji

Sending a non-animated Animoji with a custom expression is pretty simple -- you just need to tap.
  1. Open a Messages conversation.
  2. Tap the Messages App Store icon.
  3. Choose Animoji.
  4. Pick your favorite Animoji.
  5. Make an expression.
  6. Rather than tapping the red record button, tap right on the Animoji itself.
Once you've tapped on the Animoji, a still image of the expression you were making will be input into the chat bar, and you can tap on the blue arrow to send it to the person you're conversing with.

Using an Animoji as a Sticker

Animoji can be manipulated like any other sticker, and to do so, you're going to follow the same steps from above.
  1. Open a Messages conversation.
  2. Tap the Messages App Store icon.
  3. Choose Animoji.
  4. Pick your favorite Animoji.
  5. Make an expression.
  6. Instead of tapping, place a finger over the Animoji and drag it up into the Messages field, where it can be placed over any chat bubble, image, or sticker.
While in drag mode, an Animoji behaves like any other sticker. Keep your finger on it and use pinch gestures to make it smaller or slide a finger over the screen to rotate it to a different angle.

Article Link: How to Send an Animoji as a Sticker on Your iPhone

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Perfect for when you just want to send a simple facial expressions with Animoji.
I do wish customization of the base character would eventually come, though.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Ah that's a nice aspect of them I didn't know about. I don't have them anymore, but it's still nice to know they're more versatile than I realized.

cgaw23

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
I would use Animoji more if it was available to use with other messaging platforms. The amount of people I communicate with over iMessage is relatively low in comparison to other platforms

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.